Ceiling fan install problem.

Old 10-03-06, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan install problem.

Hi,

We're trying to install a ceiling fan, and it's not working. Power is coming to the fan, but the fan's not turning.

Here's the question. The fan was made to have a light fixture at the bottom, but a)we can't find it since taking it down, and b) the room we're installing it in already has enough light, so it's not needed.

So can a ceiling fan that once had a light work when the light is removed? We just want to buy a cover for where the light would go, and cap the wiring. But is there some issue with the wiring that would keep it from working? Like I say, power is being delivered to the fan, it's just not turning.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-06, 08:55 PM
The fan probably has a couple of pull cords hanging from it. One would switch the light, the other the fan. Make sure you have the fan wires connected to the house wiring. Also check the direction switch, as it might be between clockwise and counterclockwise.
If it has a remote, the problem might be in that, and if it has a wall switch, that might not be wired correctly.
One more thing to look for is to see if the wire to the fan is on a switch.

Old 10-03-06, 09:13 PM
Thanks, you're helping me all over the place tonight.

There's four wires at the top of the fan, to be connected to the house wiring, a black, black w/white stripe, white, and green.

We've got the house green hooked up to the mount on the ceiling etc., and everything from the house side should be ok.

It's on a switch, too, but the switch works like it should. We took the wiring from a light on the ceiling, disconnected it, drilled a new hole for the fan, ran the wire to the fan, and re-connected the light from another light. Everything has juice, just the fan won't turn. Like I say, it used to have a light fixture, since departed, and the light wires are just hanging there. Does some circuit need to be completed?

What wires hook up to what wires from fan to ceiling? Black, black w/white, white, green fan side; white, bare, black, green house side.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-06, 09:32 PM
Since you are not connecting the light wiring in the fan, you will have an unused black wire. Check with a simple continuity tester, but I'm guessing the black/white stripe would be the light wire. Connect black to black, white to white, and the bare to the mount.
Uhm, you did hang the fan from a sturdy bracket, right?

Old 10-04-06, 07:50 PM
Thanks,

House side- Black, White, bare, green connected to mount.

Fan side- Black, White, Black/White, green.

So h-black to f-black, h-white to f-white, h-green(coming from mount) to f-green, f-black/white to nothing, h-bare to mount?

There's only one place to put a wire on the mount, and it's got a green wire connected, so would I hook up the h-bare to it as well? So it would be h-bare to mount, h-green(also connected to mount) to f-green?

Confusing?

Thanks.