Recessed lighting w/ceiling fan

Old 10-05-06, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed lighting w/ceiling fan

I have a 9'x12' Dinette which I want to install a 36" ceiling fan over an oak table and also install several recessed lights around the fan instead of using a light kit on the fan, can I do this? Should I use a flush mount fan? How far out from the fan blade do I have to keep the lights? Should I use lights that angle towards the center of the table instead of straight down? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-06, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You may want to give a second thought to installing a fan over a dining table. It will tend to cool your food too quickly and the breeze it creates may be uncomfortable.
But, if you want one, you can buy one and omit installing the light kit. You will need two switches; one for the fan and one for the lights. Basically, the lights will have nothing to do with the fan unless you work them off the same switch.

Old 10-05-06, 07:01 PM
Received 110 Votes on 100 Posts
Nothing in the code to prevent this. Beware of placing the lights so that fan blades cross in fornt of them. I think it would tend to make a flashing shadow over the table.

Old 10-06-06, 07:52 AM
Thanks, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-06, 08:58 AM
I am an electrician, so my first bit of advice is to not let an electrician help making design choices We are better at the practicle application than we are at the planning.

I have installed alot of different designs so I do have one idea for your situation. Put the table in the center of the room. Put the fan in the center directly above the table.

Get 8 recess cans and install them in two rows of three down the sides and one each center on the ends. I will work up a cheezy drawing to show what I mean and post back. Do not use directional lights for the recess cans. Let the light spread.

Of coarse the best thing to do is to take my initial advice, and go to a lighting supply house and have them help you desgin your room.

Edit to add link to cheezy drawing:
http://members.cox.net/jwhite480/LightingCansFan.jpg

Last edited by jwhite; 10-06-06 at 09:22 AM.