Hampton Bay remote dimming problem

Old 10-06-06, 07:51 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hampton Bay remote dimming problem

I just installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan along with the Hamton Bay aftermarket remote. The remote has a dimming feature for the ceiling fan light fixture but it doesn't work. The remote just turns on and off the light, but won't dim them. What's the issue here? The fan came with two bulbs that look like CFLs but i'm not sure. Could this be why the lights won't dim? Also, when the lights are turned off via the remote the bulbs flicker a little bit, but when you turn them off via the pull cord they turn off completely.

Old 10-06-06, 08:05 AM
J
If those are compact flourcent, then yes they could be the problem.

Old 10-09-06, 09:36 AM
V
Angry

The bulbs are defintely CFLs and they came with the ceiling fan. The CFL bulbs are pronged too so they can't be replaced with anything but CFLs. This is rather annoying b/c its a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with bulbs provided by Hampton Bay and a Hampton Bay (aftermarket remote) - everything is Hampton Bay. The dimmer on the remote doesn't work ( just turns the light on and off), but even more annoying than that is the fact that when you do turn the light off, it doesn't turn all the way off. The bulbs flicker dimmly but noticeably when the room is dark. the only way to stop that is to turn the light off by the pull switch.

Last edited by vtengr; 10-09-06 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 12:07 PM
J
You need to contact Hampton Bay tech support and see if they make a dimmer that will work.

Old 10-09-06, 12:48 PM
V
unfortunetly when i go to Hampton Bay's website to try and find a tech support number they just direct you to either Home Depot or Design Expo - when i tried to call home depot the person i spoke to had no idea what i was talking about (surprise surprise) so that was a bust.

Old 10-09-06, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I noticed on the "universal" type remote aftermarket units, they exclude the older Hunter fans, primarily because they were not reversible, and were oil filled. Now, on the Hampton Bay, were there disclaimers on the package which stated the remote could not be used with certain models due to the bulbs? You may opt for changing the light fixture to an incandescant, and your remote should work ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: