Flipping switch to light trips the breaker.

Old 10-13-06, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Flipping switch to light trips the breaker.

I really need help with this one. I am installing an overhead light in my kitchen replacing the switch. There were sets of wires going into the box. One goes to the light in the dining area, another goes to the light above the sink, and the third goes to the light switch. Both other lights have their own switches. We turned off the breaker to switch the light. When we turn on the breaker, all the lights go on, including the new light even though the switch is in the off position. when we flip the switch, it trips the breaker. If the switch is in the on position, the breaker trips automatically. there were no problems with the switch prior to placing the light. we have tried everything we can think of including a new switch. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-06, 06:10 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
You tried to fix a percieved problem by matching the colors of the wires. I think you will find you are actually turning on the switch when the breaker blows.
Try this.
Connect switch black to the light black.
Connect switch white to the other two black wires.
Connect the light white to the other two white wires.
Connect all the ground wires.

Old 10-14-06, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you take apart electrical wiring in your home, always make notes of where the wires where when you started or take pictures. Never leave this to memory.

If what joe said does not work you will need to post with more detail what cables (sets of wires) come into your switch box and what each wire from each set connects to.

From there we will be able to sort the rest out.