Remote control for ceiling light

Old 10-16-06, 07:00 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am replacing a pull chain ceiling light fixture with a new hard wired one. There is very little access to install a cable to a new switch so I want to adapt a remote for a ceiling fan to work the light. There is a blue wire as well as a black wire on the remote module. Just connecting the blue wire to the fixtures black and capping off the modules black wire didn't work. What should go where? I know this has to be possible.

Thanks,

Mrs. Villa

Last edited by Mrs. Villa; 10-18-06 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-16-06, 03:35 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It looks you you got that part right. Where did you hook up the rest of the wires from the fan/light reciever?

Old 10-17-06, 06:52 AM
M

Thanks for responding! I connected the remote reciever incoming hot and neutral (black and white) to house wiring (black to black, white to white). The other side of the reciever obviously has a white, black (to motor) and blue (to light) wires. I connected the light fixture white to the reciever white, the light fixture black to the reciever blue, and just capped off the reciever black. When I flipped the breaker back on the light wouldn't work. It had previously worked without the remote reciever wired in. Yes, I checked the battery in the remote control.

Thanks,

Mrs. Villa

Old 10-17-06, 01:56 PM
J
It looks like you did all of the wiring correctly.

What type of lamps are in the new fixture. Most remotes will only work with incandescent lamps.

Did you turn off the power while you worked. Some devices can be dammaged by working them live.

Did you try to by pass the new reciever to see if the light works without it? The problem could be unrelated. burnt bulb or blown breaker.

Old 10-17-06, 04:22 PM
M
The fixture has incandescent bulbs. Just bypassed the receiver and the light works. Worked with the breaker turned off at all times.
Is it possible that without the black wire that's supposed to go to a fan motor being connected that the circuit isn't being completed?

I called the company that makes the remote and all they would say is that they can't recommend the remote for any application other than a ceiling fan.

Thanks,

Mrs. Villa

Old 10-17-06, 04:39 PM
J
No capping off the load side fan wire from the remote should not cause a problem.

If you have power to the line side of the remote and the light is not working, then either the remote reciever, or transmitter is bad, or the dip switch codes in the transmitter and reciever do not match.

Of coarse the batteries could be dead in the remote transimtter.

Old 10-19-06, 07:31 AM
M
Red face

You're going to laugh. I had the wiring right. The bulb was blown!
New bulb, but I still should have checked. Thanks so much for your time and help. Maybe someone else can benefit from this, too.

Mrs. Villa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: