Problem with Hunter Grand Lodge -- light flickers

Old 10-29-06, 04:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with Hunter Grand Lodge -- light flickers

Hi, quite a while ago I installed a Hunter Grand Lodge (I forget the exact model number). From the start the light flickered within 10 minutes of turning the light on. I went back to the store and they suggested the wiring wasn't quite right and that I should check that, ensuring all the connections were good. I didn't worry about it for a while (since I never really use the light). After a while, I had a friend who's an electrician take a look. All of the wiring was good, but he redid it all anyway. The fan still flickers. He suspects the remote unit is bad. Anyone have similar problems? It may be an older model of the Gand Lodge, as the remote unit is just below the fan and above the light. I think the remote unit is near the ceiling in the new ones. Any suggestions? I'm hoping it's something simple as it has been a while and I suspect the store will give me grief if I try to return the fan now. The light has never worked properly though. I'm selling the house a need to get it fixed.

Old 10-29-06, 05:05 AM
J
If the bulbs are not incandecent that could be a problem as they may not work well with the remote reciever.

Next if the bulbs were ever twisted in too hard the pin that makes contact against the base of the bulb could have been crushed. You can turn the light off and take a screwdriver and gentlly pull out on the center pins, then re-install the bulbs.

If this only seems to happen when the fan is running, It could be a loose connection at the light kit.

Also if you have a dimmer on the wall as well as the remote reiciever these two may not work together.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-29-06, 11:31 PM
B
Thanks so much for the tips.

The bulbs are incandecent.

I pulled the contact pin out a bit and was just starting to believe that fixed it when it started to flicker. The light didn't seem to flicker as much, but there was still an obvious problem. Then, the light just went compltely off and would not turn on. After I turned it off and waited for a while, I was able to switch the light back on.

Next I tried to turn the fan off and turn only the light on. Again, I was just getting hope that I had at least figured out what the problem was when it flickered briefly and then dimmed. It stayed on steady for a few minutes, but at a dimmer output. I then turned on the fan. It's still on steady, but dimmer.

Finally, the switch on the wall is not a dimmer. It's a standard on/off.

I'm guessing the next step would be to swap the remote unit with the identical model I have in my bedroom to see if the problem also switches fans. Agree? If not, what would you suggest.

Again, thanks for your help.

Old 10-30-06, 03:30 AM
J
That would be a good logicl step.

If that does not work, I am out of ideas. You may have to take the fixture to a lighting supply house and see if they can fix it.

Old 11-03-06, 03:49 PM
E
Grand Lodge Help

What style of bulb are you using? You should be using incandescent light bulbs. If you are using compact florescent, this will cause the light to flicker due to the electronics in the light fixture and the ballast in the compact florescent conflicting with each other. If you are using incandescent light bulbs than I would say that the electronic module in the fan is bad and that you should have the fan repaired under warranty. Hope this helps.

Old 11-03-06, 04:26 PM
B
Cool THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! I've got it figured out.

I swapped the remote control module with another identical fan that I have and -- sure enough -- the problem swapped also. So, I took just the module to Lowes for replacement. They were out of that fan, but connected me to Hunter. Hunter will send me a new module -- the only problem is they are on back-order until late January.

Again, thanks for all your help!

Old 11-03-06, 07:22 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have a switch, your selling. Buy a fan, lose the remote etc. thats that. Or buy a light fixture and replace it.

flip that house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: