Installing lights in crawl space

Old 11-11-06, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing lights in crawl space

I'm seeking electrical advice for installing lights in the crawl space under my house. I'm tired of getting under there with a light and dragging it all around and then the bulb burns out.

I'm considering the following:
- Hook into existing GFCI circuit that's under house
- Use 14 gauge wire suitable for outdoor use (lights will only be on when I'm under there)
- Use those porcelain incadescent (round) fixtures
- Use plastic boxes
- Have one switch at entrance to crawl space to control all lights. I'll run the black wire thru this switch, then on the the lights which will be wired in parallel.
- Probably need about six or seven 100 watt lights
- Not sure whether I can staple wires to bottom edge of floor joists, or whether I need to drill holes thru the joists.
- Plan to just screw the boxes up into the bottom edge of the floor joists near perimeter to avoid hitting lights when I'm under there.

Any knowledgable advice will be appreciated.

Old 11-11-06, 05:08 AM
J
Everything sounds OK, except the lights should be enclosed fixtures, no bare bulbs. But check local code, it overrules everyhting your read here.

Old 11-11-06, 10:41 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Enclosed fixtures (protection). 14/2... Depends on wether or not the ckt is a 15 amp, if 20A you need #12.

Place a runnig board/strapping to the bottem of the joists, That way you won't have to drill. OR you could staple to thesuport at the house and then turn down the side of the joist at each light location. If that would use too much wire, then go with the board.

Other than that...Sounds ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: