Ceiling Fan

Old 11-13-06, 06:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan

A friend of mine gave me a ceiling fan for a gift. It is not one I would have purchased for myself. I would have probably purchased a Hunter or a Hampton Bay brand. The brand name of this fan is Home Trends. It is a five blade fan with three speeds. My friend installed it but it does not seem to work properly. The speeds seem to be off and there is a humming when the fan is turned on.There is not that much difference between all three speeds. Even when you have it set to the highest speed, the fan blades do not turn as fast as the one this fan replaced which was a Hampton Bay. I'm wondering if fan speeds vary according to brand names. Should I replace this fan with a more reputable brand like Hunter or Hampton Bay and see how that fan performs or do you think the problem is with the house wiring? I would appreciate any input. Thanks, Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Kathy: figure this. Your friend got rid of the fan in favor of a new one. You only replace fans if you don't like them or they don't work properly. If you are having problems with the fan, no more expensive than they are, I would opt for a new one. The humming can be from a lack of proper sound deadening rubber between the fan and the ceiling box. It can also be from a cheap motor. I just installed a couple today for customers, and they can be as ornate as you want, or simple. With remote built in or aftermarket.
Good luck with the fan, and post back if we can help further.

Old 11-13-06, 09:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Was this a fan/fan change out? What is controling this fan (type of switch)?