Switch with a receptacle

Old 11-14-06, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch with a receptacle

Hi all: I searched much of the forum, but I didn't find an answer; forgive me in advance if this is answered somewhere else.

I have a light switch that is at the end of a circuit. The cable used is 14/2 w G.

The box has a "feed cable" coming from some receptacles, and then the cable going directly to the ceiling light.

This is for a child's room; I want to use a switch with a receptacle on it for a night light. It initially seemed like a basic wiring job, but for whatever reason, I got a little confused and need clarification (the box the device came in is for a different device, guess it was mis-boxed, so the diagram doesn't make sense to me).

For orientation: The receptacle is on top, switch on bottom. Looking at the front of the device, there is-- from top to bottom-- one each silver, gnd and brass screw on the left side, and two black screws on the right. The tab between the black screws is intact; I want the receptacle to operate independently of the switch.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Feed comes in to the box, hot (black) is pigtailed and goes to the brass on the left (next to switch) and the top black screw on the right (next to receptacle). Neutral (white) goes to the silver on the top left. Gnd is pigtailed and goes to the gnd screw.

Line to the light: hot (black) goes to the bottom black screw on the right (next to switch), going to the light. The neutral gets capped w/ a nut, the gnd is connected to the gnd pigtail.

How close am I?

Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-06, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Let's try this. Hot to the black screw. Since they are tied together, it doesn't matter which one. It will energize the receptacle regardless of the condition of the switch. Neutral to the top silver screw adjacent to the receptacle. Black wire from light to the other silver screw, adjacent to the switch opposite the black screws. Neutral from light to neutral (pig tailed) to the one you attached to the neutral screw.

Old 11-14-06, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is only one silver screw. When you wrote "Black wire from light to the other silver screw" you meant the brass screw?

In other words:
-- lead goes to either black screw
-- hot to the light is on brass screw (next to switch)
-- all neutral pigtailed to silver
-- all gnd pigtailed to gnd

Leaves one black screw blank. I think this is if the break-off tab is removed; a 'jumper' wire goes from the black screw next to receptacle to brass next to switch.

Please confirm.

Old 11-18-06, 01:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You are right. If the tab is broken off, it will separate the receptacle from the light, but since you have only one hot lead, leave the tab intact in order to power the receptacle, also.