Popping/clicking noise?

Old 11-22-06, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Popping/clicking noise?

I've installed a new ceiling fan in my bedroom a couple months ago, and ever since it was installed I've been hearing an odd, infrequent noise.

It's hard to descibe whether it's a snap, crack, pop, tick, or ping, and it does not occur at regular intervals. Sometimes it seems like it's once every 5 minutes, sometimes once every 20. It's usually not very loud - I notice it if I'm trying to fall asleep, but my wife usually doesn't.

The fan motor needs to be running for the noise to occur, but it's independant of the light being on or off. The noise seems to be coming from the motor, but it's hard to be sure because I can't stick my ear above the blades to hear if it's coming from around the ceiling mount.

What could potentially be causing this issue? Could it be bad wiring in the motor, or perhaps some debris got inside?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-06, 11:28 AM
One thing to check is the tiny screws holding the fan's outer shell to the motor. If one is loose it can cause a clicking noise. I'd also check the fan screws.

I assume it's not an electrical arcing sound -- but if you think it could be, you'd better open it back up and check the wiring.

Could also be loose screw vibrating on the electrical box.

Old 11-22-06, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me on this post. I thought you were talking about my left knee. Makes the same sounds.

Old 11-22-06, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Talking

Snug everything up, Including the box it's mounted to.

My knee too. Snap,crackle and pop. Depends on the weather.