Recessed Lighting Touching Joist

Old 11-25-06, 09:48 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lighting Touching Joist

My wife and I installed some IC rated recessed lighting in the hallways of our house. We replaced existing fixtures at each place with no problems. On 2 of 5 fixtures, the original fixture boxes were attached to the joists...so after enlarging the original hole and installing the can, the can touches the wood joist slightly. Should we be concerned about this? The cans are IC rated with thermal switches, but we want to be sure this is a "safe" thing to do. We wanted to use the existing holes so we wouldn't have to get someone to do patch work.

???

Old 11-25-06, 09:51 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
YOu should be alright. Those cans are designed for this type of situation.

Old 11-25-06, 10:13 AM
Masterstyx,

You should be fine.... The IC Rating allows for this installation and should not cause you any problems.

Old 11-25-06, 09:04 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Regarding a similar circumstance, we'd like to install recessed lighting in our ceiling but there is about 5 1/2 inches to work with and the lighting units will jussstt make it between the sheetrock and the roof. This means the tops of the cans would be touching the plywood on the underside of the roof. Assuming we buy IC cans, should we not be concerned with this as well?

Old 11-26-06, 10:07 AM
M
Thanks for the quick response! This makes me feel much better that it is a normal install situation. It just made me a little nervous...my family's safety comes first. I guess the IC rated cans don't get hot enough to burn or light the wood on fire. That's Great!

Old 11-26-06, 01:31 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by johnryan
Regarding a similar circumstance, we'd like to install recessed lighting in our ceiling but there is about 5 1/2 inches to work with and the lighting units will jussstt make it between the sheetrock and the roof. This means the tops of the cans would be touching the plywood on the underside of the roof. Assuming we buy IC cans, should we not be concerned with this as well?
Try to find a shallow can. Lamp correctly ( way important). These will work and are suited for "direct contact", This should not be the norm. But are deamed "safe".

when ever possible. leave breathing room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: