garage lighting

Old 12-05-06, 08:49 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage lighting

I am building a 16X19 foot (interior measurements) garage. There will be no windows. What type, size and how many lights would anyone recommend? I'm thinking flourescent shop lights. It is just going to be a garage (not a workshop) and I just need general illumination, but there may be times I might want to be in there working on a project. There will be an opener with a light, but I am looking for how much additional lighting.

Thanks
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-06, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Jeff: You would be fine using 4, 4foot, two bulb fluorescent shop lights for general illumination. Using 4 may be overkill for walking from the car to the back door, but if, as you say, you will be spending any time in there on projects, you will appreciate the extra light. Just make sure you don't totally occlude the front lights by the garage door when it is opened.

Old 12-06-06, 07:25 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For this application.. I would go with a 2-Lamp HO (high output).
Centered in the garage and your good. $50+- fixture and another $10-$20 for lamps. Prividing you have wire and the switch there. I Like 4 lamp T-8. They are more exspensive and a preferance.

Old 12-08-06, 05:50 PM
F
I just installed fluorescent lighting in my garage. Mine is about 450 sq. ft. so about 146 more than yours and I installed 1 fixture ...a 2 bulb, 8 foot long fixture with T-12 HO bulbs ($55 for the light, $14 for the bulbs). It's like living on the sun now compared with the little 60 watt single bulb fixture I had in there before. It's amazing! I would definitely suggest using these but the size I have would most likely be too much for what you want so I would not suggest getting the 8 footer for your 16x19 garage.

Steve

Old 12-27-06, 10:46 AM
J
Garage lights

Thanks. I'll look into the HO lights. I can't just put one in the center because as it turns out, that is exactly where the opener will be. I'm thinking at least two - one on either side of the opener centered front to back and equidistant between the opener and each side wall.