Help with wiring ceiling fan!

Old 12-07-06, 10:03 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with wiring ceiling fan!

I am wanting to install a ceiling fan with light kit were none currently exists. The easiest access to electric is an attic light with a pull chain. Can I tap into this fixture to run the required electric to my ceiling fan? The fan has remote control, so I am assuming I would not need a wall switch, or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for help!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-06, 10:25 AM
H
You should be able to tap into that light box. A light switch is a convenience factor and is not necessary to operate the fan.

Make absolutely sure that you use the proper mounting bracket for the fan so that it is secure and will not fall from the ceiling under its own weight, and that the box is properly grounded.

Old 12-07-06, 10:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Probably not as easy as taping into the fixture. Have you read the How-To on this site?

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/installceilingfan

Old 12-07-06, 11:17 AM
G
Can you give detailed instruction for tapping into existing attic light fixture?

Originally Posted by garys View Post
I am wanting to install a ceiling fan with light kit were none currently exists. The easiest access to electric is an attic light with a pull chain. Can I tap into this fixture to run the required electric to my ceiling fan? The fan has remote control, so I am assuming I would not need a wall switch, or am I wrong? Thanks in advance for help!
Can you give me detailed instuction for tapping into the existing attic light fixture? I am not very savvy when it comes to wiring, but can follow instruction well!!

Old 12-07-06, 12:17 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
The fixture will be connected to a black and white wire. Add you new cable to these connections as well as the bare ground.
At your new fixture connect wires according the fan remote instructions.

If this is a 20 amp circuit then use 12/2 cable. If it is a 15 amp circuit then use 14/2 cable.

Old 12-07-06, 01:43 PM
G
Originally Posted by joed View Post
The fixture will be connected to a black and white wire. Add you new cable to these connections as well as the bare ground.
At your new fixture connect wires according the fan remote instructions.

If this is a 20 amp circuit then use 12/2 cable. If it is a 15 amp circuit then use 14/2 cable.
Thanks for the help!!!