Installing a new ceiling light

Old 12-09-06, 11:38 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a new ceiling light

My husband is trying to install a new ceiling light and the wires coming from the ceiling have a black, white, red and ground wire. The light we bought for the ceiling has just black, white and ground wires. Can someone tell me what we are supposed to do with the red one? He has tried several different combinations but, nothing works right. All the other light fixtures we have changed didn't have a red wire so, we are kind of confusued.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-06, 01:03 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What ever wires were connected to the original fixture. Use them. You don't need to rewire anything.

Old 12-09-06, 05:38 PM
J
Received 270 Votes on 234 Posts
Use the white and red. If that doesn't work use the white and black. Cap off the unused red or black wire.

Old 12-09-06, 08:31 PM
M
Unfortunately he doesn't remember how the original fixture was hooked up. I will have him try to put the white with the red and see if that works. I know that he did try putting the white with the black and leaving the red one out but that didn't work.

Thanks

Old 12-10-06, 08:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
Connect the fixture white to the ceiling white. Connect the fixture black to the ceiling black. Now test, if this does not work correctly move the fixture black to the ceiling red.

Old 12-17-06, 08:56 AM
M
Thanks for the suggestions. He was able to get the light put in yesterday.

Old 12-31-06, 07:21 PM
D
ceiling lightswitch problem

Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Connect the fixture white to the ceiling white. Connect the fixture black to the ceiling black. Now test, if this does not work correctly move the fixture black to the ceiling red.
Originally Posted by mstroble View Post
My husband is trying to install a new ceiling light and the wires coming from the ceiling have a black, white, red and ground wire. The light we bought for the ceiling has just black, white and ground wires. Can someone tell me what we are supposed to do with the red one? He has tried several different combinations but, nothing works right. All the other light fixtures we have changed didn't have a red wire so, we are kind of confusued.

Thanks for your help.
we have basically the same problem. we did get the light put in with the red wire connected to the black and capped. the light works but it no longer is working by the lightswitch.what did we do wrong?

Old 12-31-06, 08:06 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Black from fixture to red in box.

Old 01-04-07, 11:14 AM
W
Sounds like your electrician did you the favor of wiring the light box for a ceiling fan/light kit. Chances are the red and black wires are both hot--one switched (typically used for a ceiling light), and one not (i.e., always hot--typically used for a ceiling fan). Find the switched hot wire for your light (my guess is black is switched, red is not, but could be either way).

Cap the unused wire with an appropriate wire nut and tuck it inside the box for future use (in case you decide to add a fan in the future).

Good luck!