wiring confusion


  #1  
Old 12-09-06, 01:01 PM
L
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wiring confusion

i am having problems wiring my new wall light. my NEW light only has 2 wires coming out of the back- and BOTH of them are black...

the wires coming out of my wall are black, white and red...

how do i know which wires connects to which???

oh- and it is also hooked up to a wall switch and have no idea how that plays into the whole picture...

i thought this would be a simple- remove old light, re attach new light to color coded wires...TOTALLY not the case!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

thanks-
sad girl in nyc
 
  #2  
Old 12-09-06, 01:29 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 1,967
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile

Don't get mad, get glad!!

What wires were connected to the old fixture? These are the ones and only ones you need concern yourself with.

Now to the fixture. The 2 blacks, does one of them have ridges on it?
If yes, then this one goes to the white,the other to the black.The bare copper to bare copper or green (sometimes green with yellow stripe).
 
  #3  
Old 12-09-06, 01:51 PM
L
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Don't get mad, get glad!!

What wires were connected to the old fixture? These are the ones and only ones you need concern yourself with.

Now to the fixture. The 2 blacks, does one of them have ridges on it?
If yes, then this one goes to the white,the other to the black.The bare copper to bare copper or green (sometimes green with yellow stripe).
when we took down the old fixture we were unable to see what was connected to what. The two black cords are still connected inside the wall. The 2 whites are seperated as well as the red. I was told that the red is probabley a switch wire or it may be a grounding wire that i need to cap off. I bought a multi-meter to test the wires but Im not sure what the safest way to do that is.
 
  #4  
Old 12-09-06, 01:52 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 1,967
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, What EXACTLY do you have for wires in the wall box(colors and number of each)?
By "cords, you do mean cables,like the kind they wire houses with and not table lamps, correct?
 
  #5  
Old 12-09-06, 02:04 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 1,967
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Very good. Put the 2 black wires back in the box ,not used on the light..
The white wires,will connect to the fixture wire that has the ridges or in same way different(identified), and the red wire will go to the other black on the fixture.
If the fixture has a bare or green wire, this will connect to the 2 bare copper wires in the box. Use wire nuts on these connections.
 
  #6  
Old 12-09-06, 02:06 PM
L
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lectriclee
OK, What EXACTLY do you have for wires in the wall box(colors and number of each)?
By "cords, you do mean cables,like the kind they wire houses with and not table lamps, correct?
Yes these are cables, each one has copper colored wire inside. There are 2 white wires, two black wires and one red wire inside the box. The fixture has two black wires both have copper colored wiring inside.
 
  #7  
Old 12-09-06, 02:22 PM
L
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Very good. Put the 2 black wires back in the box ,not used on the light..
The white wires,will connect to the fixture wire that has the ridges or in same way different(identified), and the red wire will go to the other black on the fixture.
If the fixture has a bare or green wire, this will connect to the 2 bare copper wires in the box. Use wire nuts on these connections.
Ok, So i will cap the two black wires and stick them in the box. Next I will connect one black wire from the fixture to the two white wires and the other black wire from the fixture to the red wire. The two black wires are exactly the same except that one has some white writing on it. How can i tell which ones which?
 
  #8  
Old 12-09-06, 02:26 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Boston, MA.
Posts: 1,967
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The writing identifies it, this connects to whites, (keep the 2 blacks in the box spliced together). The other black to the red.

I see that you have a meter. Does it have an ohm/continuity setting on it?

This is the learning part. If it does,set it for this. With the fixture not connected. Place 1 lead of the meter to the outside of the lamp socket (where the bulb screws in). And the other to 1 of the blacks on the fixture.
When you find the continuity, that is the white.
Do the same, with the center post of the socket, this will go to the red.
 
  #9  
Old 12-09-06, 04:20 PM
HotxxxxxxxOKC's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 7,754
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
To Ohm, you should have a reading of 0 or slightly slight higher.
 
  #10  
Old 12-09-06, 05:37 PM
L
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank You So Much

thank you SO much for all of your help!
it worked! you saved the day and i now have a working light!



Originally Posted by lectriclee
The writing identifies it, this connects to whites, (keep the 2 blacks in the box spliced together). The other black to the red.

I see that you have a meter. Does it have an ohm/continuity setting on it?

This is the learning part. If it does,set it for this. With the fixture not connected. Place 1 lead of the meter to the outside of the lamp socket (where the bulb screws in). And the other to 1 of the blacks on the fixture.
When you find the continuity, that is the white.
Do the same, with the center post of the socket, this will go to the red.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: