Short recessed light fixture?

Old 12-19-06, 06:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Short recessed light fixture?

Hello, I have been installing recessed fixtures in my two hall ways, all the floor joist above have been a 2" X 10" board, but one above the first stair landing is only 4" deep. I have already cut a 5-1/8" circle in the drywall, but can't seem to find any fixture that is short. I don't need a lot of light wattage, just need to mark the landing. I could go to a HUGGER type short globe fuxture that wiill cover the hole if needed. The ceiling height is approx. 7-6" so globe will need to be somewhat flat. I have plenty of fixtures that will do such, but would like to keep all lights recessed if possible.

Any other ideas are MOST WELCOMED.

Thanks,

Dale
Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-06, 04:04 AM
J
There are no recessed fixtures that short that I know of. Your only options as I see it, are to move the location, of find a close-to-flat surface mount fixture. But wait.........it could just be bridging, which can be removed for that one spot. Look up in the hole, is it a matal band about 1" wide or a 1x2, both mounted at a diagonal?? They can be removed.

Old 12-21-06, 04:00 PM
S
What if I mounted a porcelain surface mount fixture, closet, garage type to the wood above and then took a recessed fixture and cut the bottom and sides off then snapped it in place? I would use a 25-40 watt spot bulb to shine down on the landing. Aware of heat, I could first staple foil on the wood to deflect the heat downward, and also cut several holes in the can for heat to escape? I would not have the can touching the wood above either thus allowing heat to escape. I would buy one of the better porcelain surface mount fixtures that has porcelain as the bulb receptacle which would hold up longer and be safer.

Anyone think this will work?

Dale
Indy

Old 12-21-06, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Votes on 66 Posts
Abandon the idea of modifying the fixture.

Old 12-21-06, 06:42 PM
S
ABANDON? Hey I'm a custom car builder I don't abandon anything, I just keep modifying UNTIL it works. Anyone can INSTALL a store bought fixture, but it takes a real man to cut one up. I'll do some testing and determine the heat output, and go from there.

Oh how I love a challenge.

Nothing persona pcbossl, FOR SURE.

Dale
Indy

Old 12-22-06, 04:20 AM
If you use the keyless fixture put a electrical box above it , they do make pancake boxes about 1/2 in. deep
don't just screw the fixture to the wood

Old 12-22-06, 05:56 AM
S
Smile

Ok, NOW were getting some THOUGHT OUT info. It's NOT like I'm going to be dumping LOTS of heat in the area, and too there is a nice sized run or open space for such to escape through, HEAT THAT IS.

I will use a shallow metal box, mount a high quality keyless fixture to such, and use a low wattage spot bulb. The can will NOT touch the keyless fixture or the bulb thus allowing more air movement. I BET IT WILL BE JUST FINE, I will keep a CLOSE eye, or should I say FEEL on such for heat output.

Never brag, rarely rest.

Dale
Indy

Old 12-22-06, 01:39 PM
Lol as a commercial electrician rare is the day a system works like the drawlings or manufacturer said it would or we are buying something uncompatible with a system ,taking it apart and making it work

new inventions are not thought up at a desk it is because somewhere someone needs it and says to themselves "if I only had a ........"

after thinking a minute go with a wiremould round box -they are about an 1in. deep and have a knockout on the side , the pancake only has kos on the back

your difficuly will be figuring a way to get the trim to stay up , perhaps springs to some screws in the wood

Old 12-24-06, 06:29 AM
S
Well, my MODIFIED fixture is finished. Took a 1/2" metal shallow ceiling box and mounted to the sub floor above. Then mounted the good quality porcelain keyless fixture to such. Took the new recessed fixture and cut all but 3" off but still leaving the three spring holding clips. The can does not touch the porcelain fixture and it works fine. I have checked to heat build up and it is fine. Oh, I installed a 40 watt bulb which marks the landing just fine. The trim ring with its two wire tension springs still worked just fine, so now can just pull down and change the bulb. Some people have questioned WHY would I tak a OLD car and modity such. Purest, so to speak. Some HATE me, and I have had to remind them that a 1954 Buick is a MODIFIED 1953, so what's your problem? Someone once said, CLOSE THE PATEND OFFICE, EVERYTHING HAS BEEN INVENTED, SURE, SURE, SURE. I just love those that tell me, WHY YOU CAN'T DO THAT, I SAY WATCH ME....

Thanks to all for the help,

Dale
Indy

P.S. NOTHING personal, but I believe you spell NEITHER with an I.

Old 12-24-06, 07:15 AM
Y
Thumbs down

Hey Smithbrother. Very innovative. I think your homeowner insurance company would be interested in seeing what a great job you did. Also, show your local wire inspector so that he can also pat you on the back.

Old 12-24-06, 07:29 AM
S
GOOD IDEA, I am officially INVITING everyone that has interest, to view FIRST HAND, and to give their STAMP of approval.

Merry Christmas,

Dale
Indy

Never boast, rarely rest.

Old 12-24-06, 09:56 AM
S
Smile

yavici, I didn't mention your THUMBS DOWN icon in your post as I thought I would drop you a PRIVATE MESSAGE, you see I DIDN'T FEEL ALL SHOULD READ MY COMMENTS, but since you don't accept such I will respond with this post. I prefer to work things out ONE on ONE, BUT....

Actually your THUMBS DOWN didn't really OFFEND me, well not to much, I am use to those playing GOD and judging my actions before they have done their homework. I'm in the modifying busness, so heard NEGATIVE comments before. Give me a break, I spent several days asking, thinking and listening, it isn't that I went off in my own direction the day I realized the problem. I would bet that had you done your homework, or just giving me the benefit of the doubt, you wouldn't have suggested that my making modification to the lighting was deserving of the THUMBS DOWN.

I truly understand you have the RIGHT to voice your opinion, but don't forget, SUCH DOES NOT MEAN YOUR OPINIONS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT. Do your homework first. I asked for direction on this site, and talked to local lighting people as well, and went from there. Just this morning I called a neighbor electrician to come take a look, and he said, LOOKS FINE TO ME. I am confident that if you were here in person looking at my mods you would agree. OH WELL, another doubter.

Merry Christmas,

Dale
Indy

Old 12-25-06, 07:19 AM
Y
Thumbs up

I changed to thumbs up so you'll feel better about what I have to say. I came into this thread late and was simply amazed at what I read. Even though your modification seems safe in your eyes and your neighbors eyes it is still plain wrong. 2005 National Electrical Code article 110.3(B) clearly states that "Listed or labled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." To simplify that statement it means your light fixture assembly needs to be U.L. approved or by some other recognized regulatory agency. Since your modified light does not meet the above criteria it is a violation of the Code.

Although I am not a God, as you would infer, I am a licensed journeyman and master electrician in my State. I have over 40 years of experience in residential, industrial and commercial installation and repair. I don't know everything and am still learning all the time. I think I would know a "hack" installation when I see one. Yours looks like it would fall into that category. Even though you use a low wattage lamp in the modified light, doesn't mean the next person will. Listed luminaires are stamped with the maximum size lamp allowed to be installed. There are listed, remodel, shallow recessed lights that will fit in a 2"x4" framed ceiling. Hubbell and Lightolier make some and maybe other manufacturers as well. Post #3 of this thread gave you the best advice early on and before you created your "masterpiece". pcboss advised you to abandon the idea of modification to the light. Your response showed your "cowboy" attitude toward the problem. I've got news for you. This ain't the wild west.

The chances of you taking advice are slim at best. So good luck on your project and be sure you shut off that light before you go to bed.

Old 12-25-06, 02:01 PM
S
Smile

vanici, sorry I mispelled your handle before.

I have one question.

If I call for an inspector to INSPECT, and he says it is fine, will you be happy?

Dale
Indy

Old 12-25-06, 02:08 PM
Y
That's your call. I'd be satisfied, but you might open a can of worms. This really isn't about me being satisfied, but about a safe wiring installation. I know I'm not 100% right all the time. The inspector has the final say.

Old 12-25-06, 03:56 PM
S
Smile

I'm not concerned about any worms as a neighbor electrician who doesn't know me from Adam took a look. I just purchased the house and it is still empty. I will ask him to contact an inspector and see what he has to say.

If I was a little hard on you, I'm sorry.

Have a good week.

Dale
Indy