Dingy Hallway (Lighting Options)

Old 12-24-06, 06:29 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Dingy Hallway (Lighting Options)

Don't know if this is the right area for this. If not move me. Now what I am doing is a complete renovation of my house, room by room. Hall is one of my next projects that I am getting ready to start. I have a 3' x 25' hall which will dead in to our master bedroom door. As you walk down the hall there is a door on the left for one bedroom. Right next to it same side bath door, and about 5' same side a small hot water heater door. On right side only one small a/c door as soon as you walk into hall. Now it is going to have a neutral color on walls and a lighter color on ceiling to make it look larger. And at present it has one light in center. Which I was wandering would it be better to put 2 or 3 recessed lights in it. But it is so dark looking right now. What could be done to make it look lighter.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-06, 07:49 AM
T
Light color paint and more lighting will do wonders for lighting a dark hallway. Light color prints with colors from your color scheme on walls will bring color into the hall. Perhaps a collection of these on the wall with the one door would help balance with the opposite wall with multiple doors. Mirrors are often effective in hallways because they reflect light. Remove any clutter or furniture from the hallway to given it the feeling of greater space and light. Down lights or track lights can brighten walls and art in hallways and provide more light.

Hallways do not need as much light as such areas as kitchens where there is much activity and task lighting is required. In other words, subtle lighting is all that is required in a passageway. If it is an upstairs hallway, tubular skylighting is an option for letting in natural light. If there is a window at the end of the hall, use sheer window coverings that allow natural light to enter.

The number of fixtures in a hallway is usually determined by its length. A light every 8-10 feet usually provides adequate lighting. Depending on ceiling height, you can use flushmounted or semi-flush mounted fixtures. Wall scones are another option for hall lighting and are very effective in long highways. These are placed about 5 feet from the floor and every 6-8 feet along the walls. A visit to a local lighting showroom will help with your lighting selections.

Old 12-24-06, 08:34 AM
Ive got the same issue and my plan is to use a tubular skylight

you sould still need night lighting though

Old 12-24-06, 12:58 PM
B
Arrow tub light

What are the pro's and con's of these and what is the price of them over reg skylight

Old 12-24-06, 01:05 PM
pro , small footprint , easy install , maximizes light , minimizes heat , minimal cost

I don't know of any cons

Old 12-25-06, 07:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Cons: Infiltrating an already not leaking roof. No light when it is dark, when you need the light.

Old 12-25-06, 10:20 AM
B
There's no comparison to a regular skylight. A tube light is used when the distance is too great for a regular skylight.

One light in a 25 foot hallway is not enough. If the existing light is in the middle, add one on each end. If the existing light is on one end, add a similar fixture on the other end. For esthetics, keep all three fixtures the same.

If there isn't a switch by both bedrooms, include 3-way switches in your remodeling, 4-way if there are steps (one at the landing).