Ceiling fan swings freely?

Old 12-30-06, 09:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ceiling fan swings freely?

Hi,
Just bought a house and it's got 2 really sweet ceiling fans that were already installed (http://************/yke5cg).
Thing is, the way they're installed, they both swing freely (in one direction). They also wobble when I run them above the lowest setting.

I'm far from an expert, but I feel like most fans I've dealt with in the past are "rigidly" connected to the ceiling. (E.g., in my prior experiences if you push on a fan laterally, it pushes back; it wouldn't pivot at the mounting point.)

Looking at the way it's mounted (and the instructions), it seems that the downbridge assembly is connected to the mounting bracket by one shoulder bolt. The bolt is horizontal, and the downbridge is hanging from it. It appears that the pivoting that this allows was intentional - if the ceiling were sloped (in my case, it's not) then that pivoting would allow the downbridge to hang properly.
Reading the instructions, it looks like everything is correct. It just seems like there should be one more step - something up there to "lock everything down".
The fact that the fan can swing just seems weird to me. Or is it normal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-30-06, 09:19 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Those are sweet!!!
This type it may be normal. The swing/pivot.
wabble is not.

Most likely they'r out of balance. An electrical supply or big box store should have weights you need. after that, Trial and error is the only way.

Old 12-31-06, 05:23 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Agree. Balancing kits are available for this. It should be really easy to do. Alot easier than a 4 blade fan. Sort of like a bar stool with 4 legs. Trying to make it stop wobbling, you cut off a leg, then cut off another, then another until you have a foot stool.
A 3 legged stool is naturally level. Follow the instructions on the package, and you should be in balance shortly.

Old 12-31-06, 12:09 PM
One trick to stop wobble is to measure from ceiling down when fan is off to blade at one point .turn fan blades so they come to one point and see if any are way out of the common measurement, if one is bend it so it lines up with others. if still out get the weights and play till it's right

Old 12-31-06, 12:55 PM
L
Thats a good way William. Forgot to mention, You may want to make sure all screws holding the blades are tight.

Old 01-23-07, 01:10 PM
C
Hi,

Those ceiling fans sound pretty new! If you have the balancing kit, take it out of its bag. Turn the ceiling fans off. Put the clip on one blade. Turn the ceiling fans back on. If it wobbles, that's the blade that needs to be weighted. To do this, put the weight and clip on the blade. Let the ceiling fans run. If the blade isn't the problem, keep following the before steps until you find the problem. After about 24-hours (1 full day) of running time, turn the ceiling fans off and remove the clips and weights. Turn the ceiling fans on again. Your problems should be solved!

Hope this helps!

Old 01-23-07, 10:08 PM
L
"C" Thanks' GREAT tip!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: