Trouble installing fixture in place of ceiling fan

Old 12-31-06, 11:35 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trouble installing fixture in place of ceiling fan

Hi- we have a similar problem to one in another thread, but his solution didn't work for us.

We removed a ceiling fan from our bedroom ceiling. The fan did not have a remote, but did have the option of fan-only. It was connected to a wall switch with a dimmer for the lights. In the ceiling box there are:
- two black wires
- one red wire
- one white wire
- one white wire that does not have a stripped end and was capped

We are replacing the fan with a pendant fixture.

The fixture has
- one black wire
- one white wire
- one green/yellow striped (ground we assume) wire

We have tried just about every combination imaginable (and haven't burnt the house down yet!). There is one that juices the light (one black box to black fixture, and stripped-end white box to white fixture) BUT then it is not controlled by the switch.

We opened the dimmer switch and in there are two blacks in the switch, attached to a red from the box and a black from the box.

Any help would be so gladly appreciated. Many thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-06, 11:52 AM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not to doubt you.. Did you try the red..to black on fixture, Then the white to white (not the capped one).
The green with yellow IS the ground, connect to bare copper wire.

I would be more worried about hurting myself. PITA I know but you should disconnect the power.

If this does not do it... Then you may have a bad dimmer.(they don't like to be installed hot(energized).
Try this With the power off, disconnect the dimmer, put the 2 wires taken off the dimmer together. Go down and turn the power on. If the light works...Your dimmer is bad.

Old 12-31-06, 03:30 PM
V
Thanks for the quick response... I tried black from fixture to red from ceiling and white to white and the green/yellow stripped wire grounded.. no luck with that combo..

So I turned my attention to the dimmer per your suggestion. Tried taking off the dimmer completely. When I put the power back on, the overhead light does come on. So switched off the power and re-tried various configurations of the switch wires and overhead light fixture wires.

The combo that works is black to black, white to white for the overhead light fixture. However, it isn't even controlled by the switch, let alone the dimmer.

Before we removed the ceiling fan & light, the light switch and dimmer both worked fine.

Any other ideas would be welcomed. I will try researching further on the net since it appears the previous owners left no documentation regarding the dimmer switch.

Thanks!

Old 12-31-06, 03:59 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

Ok, Back up...When you removed the dimmer, You connected the 2 wires from the box (that went to the dimmer) together? and the light worked? Is this correct? If so your dimmer is bad.

Don't mess with the 2 blacks that are spliced. these are the constant feed. Are you sure the "other" white was not connected.I have a feeling is was to the other white. Then white to white and black to red. and grounds of course.