Hampton Bay Nice Ceiling Fan Light Broke Please Help!!

Old 01-04-07, 07:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hampton Bay Nice Ceiling Fan Light Broke Please Help!!

Hello I have a aweseome looking Hampton Bay Brand ceiling fan that has all this neat stuff (black fan blades, remote control for light dimmer and for fan speeds, etc.) I have had it for about a year problem free....The other day the light was on and it made a pop noise and a saw a quick spark and all lights went out. Of course I checked the bulbs (one one was out). I flipped the braker switch on the outside panel outside my house, no luck. I took screws off and cap off where the pull swtich is and examined the wires, they all looked fine. I asked for help and was told I need a whole new light kit and i find that hard to beleieve...it would be real tough to match up this silver and black ceiling fan color wise, etc.....Does it have a fuse or something that just popped???? Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-07, 04:14 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check the sockets, and the web site, You may find it.

Old 01-05-07, 04:35 PM
You should be able to fix this without replacing the whole unit. It's probably a bad light socket, a shorted wire, or a shorted pull switch at the light.

Did it blow the circuit breaker when you saw the spark and the lights went out?

Does the circuit breaker now stay in the on position?

Does the ceiling fan work?

Is all that is now wrong is that the lights don't work?

If so, do you have an AC test light? You can get them at Lowe's etc. for a few dollars. Turn off the fan light at the wall switch. Then climb up there and disconnect the main power leads to the fan: this will be two wires, probably white and black. Whatever the color, you're looking for the two wires that supply power to your individual lights. Disconnect the plastic wire nuts where these wires connect to the wires coming from the fan. Then, connect the two leads on the AC test light to these two wires using some tape. Make sure none of these bare wires is touching metal, and that they are separated from each other. Then turn the wall switch on and see if the test light lights. If so, the problem is below, i.e., in the light unit. Otherwise the problem is in the wires above the light unit.

Post back with your status and I'll try to help you if you still need help.

Old 01-06-07, 10:38 AM
M
Question Bad Socket

Thanks for the replys. Yes, the fan works perfectly although the light does not. I'd be surprised if it's the pull switch because I always use the remote and never the switch...I am pretty sure it's a bad socket......If one socket goes bad though, does that affect the other light sockets so they all don't work???

Old 01-06-07, 02:00 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This all depends on where the light ckt failed.

Disconnect and remove the light kit, and investigate it carefully.
i'm sure it can be repaired.

Post back with your findings.