old light fixtures

Old 01-09-07, 10:59 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb old light fixtures

My apt has 2 bulb light fixtures in which contain aluminum insulation or aluminum for reflection of the bulbs.How do I repair the insulation which is dangling or is it worth repairing?

Old 01-09-07, 02:49 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It is probably not worth fixing the lights.

I am not even sure what kind of glue you need to use. Remember that it must put up with the high heat from the light, and not be flamible when heated. This could be very dangerous.

New fixtures of this type can be bought for less than 20.00 at most big box stores. I have seen them on sale for less than 5.00

In most places it is not legal for you, the tennant, to do any electrical work in your apartment. The land lord needs to hire it done by a licenced electrician.

Old 01-12-07, 09:33 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you really, really want to keep it I suggest replacing the aluminum with the self-stick aluminum foil tape that is used on HVAC ducting. Make sure you check the heat rating on the adhesive prior to your purchase. Most of it has high temperature acrylic adhesive, the temp rating for most foil tape is -40F up to around 250F. If you do this make sure you do not over-lamp the fixure with high watage lamps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: