Using 230V Aussie Halogen Fixture in USA

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-07, 07:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Using 230V Aussie Halogen Fixture in USA

A customer purchased a 3-lamp halogen fixture on Ebay and asked me to install it. This fixture has no ballast of any kind only 3- 40w halogen bulbs and a certification sticker from Australia indicating it's suitability for 230 volts. The only noticeable difference is that it's branch wiring to each socket appears to be a 22 gauge [maybe 24] but it's not marked; just a smaller gauge than I'm accustomed to.

There is no brand name. I have no way of knowing if it originally was supplied with a ceiling mounting base assembly containing additional step-down transformer[s] etc. It appears to be a standard center-ferrule mount.

Any recommendations? Thank You!!

jbuck,

if you are a contractor I would suggest visiting a site that is designed for those types of questions. Please understand that the following rules apply to this website and message board.

DoItYourself.com Community Forums cannot be used for personal and/or commercial gain.

Altering a light fixture for use in a residence that is not UL approved for the appllication is dangerous. We are really here to be helpful but I along with many other electricians would not feel comfortable or safe in giving advice on a practice that is unsafe to you and your potential client.

Last edited by ElectricalMan; 01-11-07 at 08:51 PM. Reason: personal and/or commerical gain, could be harmful to end client
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-07, 07:36 PM
J
is this a residential application?

Old 01-11-07, 07:46 PM
J
You have two issues.

First you cannot use a 230 volt light in a residental application in the US.

Second, this is a DIY forum. If you are installing a light fixture for a customer, this is NOT A DIY QUESTION........

Moderators Please Jump In and Help Out.

Closed Thread