Recessed lights, running line thru joist

Old 01-16-07, 08:42 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed lights, running line thru joist

In my kitchen I wish to install 3 6"-8" recessed lights, but the ceiling joist above which are the 2nd. floor joists above run at a right angle to the lay out I want to use, so I don't have a open run to fish my line.

If I space the lights every 16", and after I have cut the drywall for the lights, what is the best way to drill thru the next joist in order to run my line? I will have approx. 5" from edge of the hole opening before I hit the next joist. Should I angle drill with long bit, or just a long bit and drill at a slight angle? I of course will reach up into the holes to feel for any electrid power or water lines B-4 I drill. That would be fun, and FUN IS GOOD.

Thank You,

Dale
Indy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-07, 04:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Dale, you may want to consider either borrowing or renting an angle drill to facilitate drilling into the joists. Be sure to drill at least 1 1/4" from any edge of the joist to allow for the installation of screws and nails, etc. But, as you say, check for pipes and wires before you drill with wreckless abandon. Do you have your main run to the switch figured out? Surely it will be parallel to the lighting, or already existing.

Old 01-17-07, 06:21 AM
S
Smile

chander, there is at present a 5 bulb hanging fixture in the center of the room that will be removed and the recessed fixtures will draw from such. There are two switches that control this and I will keep as such.

Thank You for your help.

Dale
Indy, GO COLTS

Old 01-21-07, 10:39 AM
C
At the supply house that I deal with,GREENLEE makes a series of drill bits that are welded onto a 6 foot,quarter inch rod. I have seen the same display at my local HOME DEPOT. These bits attach to a regular drillmotor. They come with an end on them as a regular drill bit,wood,or cement use.

Cut the hole for your first can;put the drill bit up in that hole and drill thru the joist into the void that your second can is going....etc.

This bit comes in different hole sizes and essentially gives you a 5ft-6ft reach.

There is an additional tool(sold seperately) that is complimentary to the bit.

It essentially is a holding tool for the bit,that tries to level the plane of the bit.....to keep it going straight.

I bought this tool,used it,and would recommend it.

It saves alot of drywall patching,and repainting of the room that you are installing in.

cloud 9