condensation on can lights

Old 01-17-07, 07:37 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question condensation on can lights

My livingroom has four can lights of which two have condensation on them when the weather is very cold and that particular room has always been cold in the winter. The easy thing to do would be to get into the attic and have a look at the insulation but this particular part of the roof doesn't seem to have an attic access. The house is two stories but the second floor doesn't extend over the living room so the livingroom has it's very own (inaccessible) attic. I took the bulb out of one fixture to see if I could remove the can in order to see what kind of insulation was up there but there doesn't seem to be any way to take it out of the ceiling.

-Does anyone have any suggestions?
-Are can lights generally non-removable after they are installed and the ceiling is finished?
-Is it possible that the attic access is through the soffit outside?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I'm looking forward to any and all help that comes my way!

Old 01-17-07, 07:44 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Attic

If this section of the attic has a gable roof, there may be a ventilation louver in the gable end which could be removed to gain access to the attic. Just a thought.

Old 01-17-07, 08:03 AM
R
With any can light, the can is removable so that you can get at the junction box. This is a requirement. You just haven't figured out how to remove it. Try removing the adjustment screws to see if you can then pull the can through.

There is not always access provided to every attic space in a house. You can sometimes create an access hole, but not everyone wants to do that.

Old 01-17-07, 11:15 AM
L
Okay! I got the can out (just a twist & pull). Now I've got to resolve the condensation issue. There is only ten inches from the bottom of the ceiling surface to the bottom surface of the plywood that the shingles are nailed to so there is a constant rush of coooold air (even though it isn't a windy day). I also pulled the can from a fixture that doesn't have condensation. The difference here is that there is wafer board nailed to the underside of the rafters (an 8 inch hole was cut for clearance of the light fixture). I can't really add more insulation above the fixture since it is non-IC rated. Any suggestions?

Old 01-17-07, 11:30 AM
R
Put in an IC rated can. Or live with the condensation.

Old 01-17-07, 11:44 AM
L
I'm game for a new can but is it possible to replace the fixture without wrecking the ceiling?

Old 01-17-07, 11:52 AM
R
They make cans for old work. These can be inserted without destroying the ceiling. The question will be, can you get the old one out, or at least push it out of the way, without damaging the ceiling.

Old 01-17-07, 02:22 PM
L
Red face

Thanks for your help Racraft. I'm at a loss as to how I would get an IC rated housing through a six and one half inch hole--if I had access to the squat little attic over the room I guess I wouldn't have any problem. I think for now I will disconnect the power to those lights and throw some insulation into the holes then start putting some money away for a renovation of that ceiling. Again, thanks for your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: