First post. Help with Chandelier

Old 01-17-07, 06:53 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First post. Help with Chandelier

I replaced my old chandelier that was on a 600 watt dimmer with a new one with 5 40 watt bulbs. The problem is when I hooked it up and turned up the dimmer the bulbs filaments barely glow and I mean barely.

I tried switching the wires. I took it down and wired it to a plug, stuck it in an outlet and it works fine. I put the old chandelier back up and it works fine on the dimmer. I'm stumped. Any suggestions?

Thanks and great web site!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-07, 07:05 AM
R
And what total wattage is the old light? It's possible that the dimmer is damaged and can't handle 200 watts.

Old 01-17-07, 07:13 AM
K
To be honest I'm not sure. The bulbs are very small and odd shaped but put out alot of light. The only writing on the old chandelier says

Primary: 110V~50Hz-trafo 105W
Secondary: 12V / (5 x 20W)

Thanks for the reply

Old 01-17-07, 07:59 AM
R
What you have printed throws up a red flag.

Is this a normal installation? By that I mean is this a normal 120 volt ceiling fixture?

Based on what you see happening and what you have posted from the fixture, I get the feeling that there is a transformer involved which is putting out 12 volts to the light.

You putting 12 volts into a light bulb expecting 120 volts would certainly cause very dim lights.

Use an analog meter and measure the voltage at the ceiling. If I am correct, you will get 12 volts, and not 120 volts. Do not use a digital meter, only use an analog meter.

Old 01-17-07, 01:03 PM
K
That makes perfect sense. As far as being a normal installation, it's hard for me to say. The house is fifty years old. The wiring seems straight forward. Anything in particular I should look for (transformer wise) or in the wiring? I haven't checked in the attic as far as wiring. The previous owner made alot of modifications everywhere. I really appreciate the help.

Old 01-17-07, 01:04 PM
K
I don't have an analog meter....only digital. I'm gonna run out and get an analog meter. thx

Old 01-21-07, 10:57 AM
K
Just wanted to say thanks Racraft

There was indeed a transformer in the attic leading to the chandelier.

She works like a charm now.

kilrbzz