Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans

Old 01-23-07, 12:58 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans

Hi,

I purchased 2 Hampton Bay Easy Street Ceiling Fans about 2 years ago. I installed them myself. They started humming about 2 days after I installed them. They work by a remote control, but to activate them, I flip a light switch on the wall. No pull strings are visable on the fans. They also wobble on high and medium speeds really badly. I put them on a 12" down rod, so I figured this may be the problem. I misplaced the owner's manuals and balancing kits. I'm thinking of replacing each fan with a brand new Hunter or Harbor Breeze fan of a simular style. What should I do? Trash and replace them or repair them?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-07, 01:03 PM
R
You can get replacement manuals.

For starters, I would make sure that you have proper fan rated ceiling boxes properly installed.

Old 01-23-07, 01:13 PM
C
Racraft,

An electrician installed them. I don't know what this could be. I have the Monte Carlo (Lowes) 22" Mini fan installed in my closet, and it works fine.

What else could it be?

Old 01-23-07, 01:15 PM
C
Where can I view or get replacement manuals?

Old 01-23-07, 01:20 PM
R
From the manufacturer.

Old 01-23-07, 01:56 PM
F
go here

http://www.hamptonbay.com/faq.aspx

There is specific help for humming or clicking noises.

Old 02-10-07, 04:01 PM
D
Ceiling fans

Hate to see you trash them unless you light your cigars with $10 dollar bills.

Your junction box that holds the fan should be rated to hold a fan and not just a light fixture box. Secure the box from ceiling joist to ceiling joist with 2x4's on each side, sometime one side or top is enough, try it and see if it feels strong enough.

You should not have any wobble this way. The long shaft is not the problem, the box is.

The humming might also go away with a secure junction box. If not, then the balancing kit is the next step. The self sticking weights on top of the blades will help but with balance, I am not sure which blade you should start with. Eye ball it and keep switching the weight until it smooths out.

Hope this is of some help
Earl duukofearl@aol.com

Old 03-04-07, 06:41 PM
A
Ceiling fans

Throw out a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan?
The Easy Street is a nice fan...does it move air? Light up the room?
Look good? what might be humming is the motor and it might be wobbling either because a loose junction box/bracket or most likely offset/off balance blade(s). They make self adhesive bladed weighters. You can't just throw out a hampton bay.

goodluck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: