Installing recessed lighting in basement- how far apart

Old 01-26-07, 06:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing recessed lighting in basement- how far apart

I am remodeling basement ceiling which is 7ft, and I am going to install drywall on ceiling/walls. My question is what size/wattage lights are optimal and what is spacing so there is adequte lighting coverage for the area? I have been looking for some lighting formula for square footage and can't seem to find anything. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-07, 07:52 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, we hae your ceiling height.

What is the size of the room? What will the room be used for?

If a media room, lights are different, If a play room more, If a combo room then you want some good switching.

More the info the more ideas.

Old 01-29-07, 09:39 AM
H
With a low ceiling height such as 7'-0" you want to stay away from any high wattage lamps. Depending on the application and use of your room you can either go with some low wattage pars or some compact fluorescent pot lights.

Give us some dimensions and a basic summary of the room usage to better determine the ideal lighting layout options.

Old 01-31-07, 04:29 PM
J
I'll throw this question out there....I haven't done one before, so here goes....in this application, or any other where recessed can lights are to be installed to joists with flooring directly above the members, does code have a minimum clearance requirement? Any need to shy away from such installations?....

Old 01-31-07, 09:10 PM
J
joshmack, it would have been better to ask your question in a new thread, since now we have one thread with two topics. At any rate, I'll make one shot. If that's not enough, please start a new thread. Every can manufacturer specifies clearances for their cans. Some are zero-clearance, and some require an inch. Just follow the manufacturer's instructions and it'll be fine.

Light spacing depends on a dozen different factors, such as ceiling height, bulb type, wall color, room activity, availability of task lighting, etc. etc. etc. For example, a low ceiling usually requires closer spacing, and craft activities require more lighting than television watching. When in doubt, space them closer together and use dimmers to reduce lighting when less is needed (being careful not to overload the dimmer). As a very rough guide, I'd recommend putting the first light 3.5 feet from the wall and another light every 7 feet thereafter. That assumes you're using 65-watt or 75-watt wide flood bulbs. You may want to supplement that with task lighting where you'll be doing reading or sewing.

Old 02-01-07, 06:45 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
SD7550 - The first time I installed recessed lights I didn't have a clue about positioning, wattage, coverage etc. I ended up doing trial and error. I put the cans up before drywalling the ceiling and moved them around to get the coverage I wanted. It took a while but the end results were good.

The next time I wanted to do recessed lights I took a floor plan to a lighting store and one of the lighting designers helped me with the layout and selection of cans and bulbs. All at no extra cost since I was buying the materials there.

You might pay a few dollars more for materials but you won't get that sort of help at a big box.

Old 02-01-07, 07:09 AM
J
I apologize, I almost started a new thread, but I wanted to make sure at the same time that SC7550's install would be safe and code-legal....sounds acceptable. I've also designed some simple recessed-lighting configurations on new-construction applications, but the ceilings were a bit higher, so the light was, effectively, more evenly spread out. The kitchen was the lowest ceiling <8 ft.>, was all recessed lights-7 total- with a spacing of roughly 4 ft. between them in any direction. One row of 4, one row of 3. The kitchen was roughly 10X16...not huge by any means. The light output was good....75 watt incandescent bulb/ per fixture lit up the room nicely, but, echoing Hooty's comment, there was some noticeable heat radiation, and compact fluorescent bulbs would alleviate some of that. Drawing up a basic floor plan to scale will help you figure out your needs also.

Old 02-01-07, 09:35 AM
H
Compact fluorescent recessed pots are a really good option these days. Not only do they provide a substantial reduction in load but they generally perform better than standard par floods.

Again, if you provide me with room dimensions and useage I can give you a couple layouts.

Old 02-07-07, 04:07 PM
D
Recessed lighting in basement

I too am ready to install lighting in my basement. I want to use recessed halogen lights (50w each). There are two separate spaces, both approx 12 x 20, with ceilings just under 8 feet. One space will be used for a tv/media area..the other, general use (not yet decided). What sort of layout should I go with...I was thinking 6 lights in each space.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 02-08-07, 10:05 AM
J
Yes, 6 lights in each space sounds about right. Two rows of three. Divide the ceiling into six identical rectangles, and put a light in the middle of each rectangle.