Ceiling fan light won't work?????

Old 01-26-07, 09:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan light won't work?????

I just installed a new ceiling fan that has both the light and fan controlled from a dual wall switch. The old fan I took down was very similiar to the new one and was wired black to black (motor), blue to red (light) and white to white. I put the new fan back up the exact way and only the fan will work, no lights. However, the red wire from the box is hot when I flip the switch that controls the light, but they won't come on. I then hooked both the fan's black and blue wires to the black in the box and both fan and lights work using the pull chains.

I'm definitely not an electrician, but thought this would be a simple wire job since everything matched up on the new light. Everything on the old fan did work correctly off the wall switch.

Any suggestions? I'm stumped!

Bruce

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 04:54 AM
What type of switches are they? Snap switch, Dimmer, Fan speed control?

What type of lamps are they. Standard, Compact fluorescent???

One possibility is a mismatch. For example using a Incandescent dimmer on a Compact fluorescent lamp.

Old 01-27-07, 06:03 AM
How did you determine that the red wire is hot when you flipped the switch. Your testing method is apparently flawed, as the light will not work on the red wire but will on the black wire.

Old 01-27-07, 06:25 AM
Wink

Ok, the switch is a Harbor Bay ceiling fan switch that controls both the lamp and fan. Light has a dimmer and fan has 4 speed controls on the switch. As for my testing method on the red wire, it is elementary at best. I used a circuit tester that beeps when you hold it next to a hot wire. That's all I have at this point. It would beep indicating current all the way down to the pull chain switch on the lamp assembly, but then would stop on the wires past the pull chain switch. However, everything works fine when hooked up to black.

the light assembly is standard incandescent 60w bulbs (3)

Last edited by 8xmidge; 01-27-07 at 06:32 AM. Reason: forget something
Old 01-27-07, 06:40 AM
Your test method is flawed and the results are meaningless. Is the switch designed for the fan? If not, don't use it. Did you connect the switch properly?

Old 01-27-07, 06:55 AM
switch

This is a replacement fan. It is similar to the one before, though not exact. We are using the switch that worked with the previous fan.

Old 01-27-07, 08:13 AM
more testing

I went back and checked everything again. There are three wires coming from the ceiling. Used a 2- wired testers (110 I think) and tested 3 things:
black to red - nothing
black to white- red light on tester lit
red to white- red light on tester lit.

Hooked the fan up- white to white, black to black and blue to red.
Fan (black) works fine. Blue(light) doesn't work.
Used the tester between the blue and red wires and the light came on. Reconnected them and the light on the fan still did not come on.

When both the black and blue are hooked to the black coming from the ceiling and ther red is capped off, then when using the "fan" switch on the wall everything works. Only problem with this is that both are on the same switch. PRior set up had a fan slider and a light slider on the switch.

So it appears there is juice from the red wire and we know the light part of the fan works (because it works when connected to the black) why won't it work when the red and blue are connected? baffling me....

Old 01-27-07, 01:58 PM
Try the fan to the red wire and the black to the black wire. I still say you have a missmatch. Or you have already burn up the dimmer. Was power off the whole time you were working??

Dimmers and Fan speed controls can mess up just from connecting them or un-hooking them while power is on.

Edit:: I mean power off at the breaker panel. Not the switch being turned off.

Old 01-27-07, 02:50 PM
Unless this fan is designed for this wall switch you cannot use it. I suspect you cannot use it, or you have damaged it.

Old 01-27-07, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This was a thought I had myself. These electronic devices HATE voltage fluctuations..

To ALL.. NEVER install or work on a dimmer or fan switch with power available to it. 7 out of 10 times, you wind up buying two.

So.. start with a new switch. You covered everything else.

Old 01-28-07, 09:21 AM
You guys were right, it was a bad dimmer switch. Changed it out this morning and everything is working great. Thanks for all the advice.