Urgent Ceiling Fan wiring /Switch Control wiring!

Old 01-27-07, 08:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Urgent Ceiling Fan wiring /Switch Control wiring!

Ok. Here it goes. I put urgent because I have exposed wires (although power is off) and two little ones that I'm trying to keep away from the wires). I am installing a ceiling fan/light with a wall switch controller that controls the light and the speed of the fan. This is a new house and a box intened for a ceiling fan. There was nothing installed there before I started. There are two recessed lights on each side that the two light on each side and the ceiling fan is supposed to run off the same switch. I connected everything per instructions from the ceiling box to the receiver box then the receiver box to the ceiling fan in the fan bracket. This was as follows......the black to black, the white to white, the blue from the receiver box to the blue on the fan, the green to green, etc. The only exception was there was the famous red wire left over so I capped it and went on to my next task of installing the wall controller. (This was after reading all the posts here on what to do, since this is my first ceiling fan installation). The wall controller has has two black wires but no red wire. So, I did the same thing I did up in the ceiling box, I just connected the black to black, and capped off the red. The whites in the wall box were already connected to each other and capped off so I left them alone. Well....the ceiling fan doesn't work, but the recessed lights both come on when you turn on the wall controller. When this didnt work, I tried installing the fan without the reciever box but got the same results.

Am I supposed to connect the red wire in the ceiling box to something on the fan and also the red wire at the wall to something? I was confused because the instructions for the wall controller say not to connect a hot wire (I assume red) to the wall controller for risk of fire, etc. I hope I'm not being too confusing and I hope I'm not in over my head now. Thanks for any help.

Old 01-27-07, 11:45 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Exactly what is in the ceiling box? Just 1-black-1-red-1-white and1-ground?

Now what does the controler have for wires? And in the switch box?
Does this controler have a remote?

Your this.. close don't freak out. Just keep the kids safe.

Old 01-28-07, 05:30 AM
J
It sounds like the switch you have will not be able to control both the reciver at the fan, and the other lights in the room.

The way these usually work, is that you supply both hot and neutral to the wall transmitter, and both hot and neutral to the reciever. The wall controller sends an RF signal telling the reciever what to do.

To be sure, can you post the modle number for your fan transmitter and reciever. We can usually google the wiring instructions and have a look at what you are seeing.

Typically there is a warning telling you to not hook up to a hot, or live wire. This is because if you hook these up while power is not turned off at the electrical panel, you can cause damage to the unit.

Old 01-28-07, 07:53 AM
S
More info.

Okay, you are giving me hope and I'm not going to give up. The model is a Hampton Bay, Model # 184-201, Style: Veranda with a wall mounted remote control. There is not a hand held remote control.

The wiring is like this:

Ceiling: 1 white, 1 red, 1 black, 1 green

Wall: 2 white (connected together), 2 black, 1 red

Mounted Control: 2 black, 1 green

The warning on the Wall transmitter is thi: "Hook up in "series only" Do not connect the hot and neutral ires or he electric transitter wall switch - damage to the switch and fire can occur."
Is this just saying not to hook any of it's wires to the white in the wall?

Okay, I'll wait on responses before trying anything. Thanks so much for your help and I know I can do this!

Old 01-28-07, 07:58 AM
S
one more thing

i forgot to add the wiring from the fan:

1 white, 1 black, 1 blue, 1 green, All these are connected to the black box (to communicte with wall remote) at the top of the ceiling fan (except for the green which is supposed to go to the ceiling ground. Then there are two more black and white on the side of the black box that are supposed to be connected to the black and white wire in the ceiling box.

Old 01-28-07, 09:16 AM
J
From what you posted you had everything wired correctly the first time.

Hampton bay does not give tech support on thier web site so I cannot look, but I am very sure that your wiring is correct.

You said that neither the fan or lights on the fan would work?????

Are these lights part of the fan assembly, or are they actual recess lights somewhere else in the room?

Does the fan have a pull chain? If so it usually needs to be set to high for the fan to work on the wall speed control.

The remote reciever and wall transmitter also have codes to set. Usually they come set the same, but you may need to check to see if yours are. You should be able to open up the devices and see a set of dip switches. Make sure they are the same on the transmitter and on the reciever.

Old 01-28-07, 01:37 PM
S
Hi. The recessed lights work from the switch but the fan (which is in the middle doesn't). I went and bought a volector today to see if I can find out if there is even power going to the box in the ceiling. That leads me to my next search to find out how to use it. The directions that came with it are somewhat sketchy. I sure am getting an education in Electricty 101 after all this! The wall switch control turns on the recessed lights after everything is hooked up but not the fan.

Thanks for your help. Any more ideas are very very appreciated. I spoke with a guy at home depot for 30 min. today and he seemed to think that there wasn't any power going to the ceiling fan box that maybe it wasn't wired correctly from the beginning. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Old 01-28-07, 02:27 PM
R
My suggestion is to call an electrician. You are in over your head.

Further, I suggest that you return the voltmeter you bought. Attempting to find instruction to use a voltmeter is a waste of time. Voltmeters are not meant for novices.

As advice, do not speak to the clerks at the bog box stores. They are wrong more often than they are right.

If you still want to do this yourself, then tell us all the wiring at all the boxes involved.

Old 01-28-07, 05:08 PM
S
I figured out the voltmeter. It was quite simple actually after I got started. After testing (and I am 100% sure I did this right and repeated everything several times) here are the results that I got.

Red from Ceiling box is hot (120v), the black from the ceiling is dead.

Black from the wall is hot (120v), the red from the wall is dead. How is this possible? I then rewired the everything using the wires that the voltmeter said was hot and still got the same results. The recessed lights worked but the ceiling fan which is in the middle of these lights did not. Any ideas on what is going on? I am positive that everything is connected correctly and that I did the tests correctly.

Thanks for any insight into this mystery.

Old 01-28-07, 09:39 PM
R
You might have figured out how to use the voltmeter, but you did not test correctly.

Old 01-29-07, 07:27 AM
S
Racraft...it seems as if you are not willing to help, so please do not post anything else that is negative without explaining. You said I didn't use it correctly, but I found out which wires had power coming to them; isn't that the goal of a voltmeter? It might seem to you that I am not capable via my posts, but i've installed lights and a chandalier in our house and do pretty much everything else and they turned out rather well. It just so happens that I'm in the learning process of this right now and thanks to other helpful people here I'm on my way to accomplishing my goal.

I realized last night that they might have wired the fan to another switch. I'm in the middle of trying to figure out which one it might be (by installing the wall switch on those switches). You said that if I still wanted to do this myself, to tell people here which wires are coming from the wall, fan, ceiling, etc. I listed all of that in a previous post.

Thanks to those of you trying to help.

Old 01-29-07, 08:17 AM
R
I am waiting for you to provide the requested information.

If you still want to do this yourself, then tell us all the wiring at all the boxes involved.

We need to know what cables exist in each box, what wires are in those cables, and how those wires are connect to anything (another wire, a switch, the fan, the light, etc.).

It would also help if you told us HOW you measured for voltage.

Old 01-30-07, 07:14 PM
J
have you yanked on the pull chain for the fan yet?

Old 01-30-07, 09:00 PM
S
there's not a pull chain...it's solely operated from the wall control

Old 01-30-07, 10:15 PM
F
i was reading this post but seems you are not explain not too clear on this one i did read at least twice to make sure i understood this instrusction here.

did your wall swich [ where the swich and fan control will be located ]
is one switch or two switch box size ?

the way you describe the wiring this is very common for most electrician to run 3 wire to the fan box because so this way it have a option to run the fan separted from the light.

typically red for fan motor ,, black for light [ hot side ] and white for netural and green for grounding

you should see the same thing in the switch box as well you just can't miss this at all

if you know which switch for the ceiling can[s] that fine then look for other unused switch it might show diffrent colour there like red then that is the fan motor hook up

for fan speed control you may have to review this digram again one black wire go to the " hot " source and wirenutted there and get second red or black wire to the red wire to fan motor [ depending on your instruction saying which wire to fan and light if have kit in there ] you should able indentify it correct

but one question it still remaing left on the reciver i know you got one side hook up correct but other side did you hook one black wire to what ?? if go to black wire it will not run unless it is on red wire the same thing on wall contoller as well

please do post it back here

Merci , Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: