Rope lighting - under kitchen cabinet

Old 01-30-07, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rope lighting - under kitchen cabinet

Thats probably not the right name for it but it's the stuff you see in resteraunts and clubs usually along the floor...

Anyway we are about 90% cometted to redecorating/remodeling or kitchen before we put the condo on the market - kitchens and baths sell houses!! We are going to paint our 1980's off white and wood laminite contracter sepcial cabinets and install granite tile on the counters. I was thinking that installing some lighting under the cabinets might be nice and I happen to have some of that "rope lighting" around. Question is I would prefer to have it wired into a switch rather then plug it in - there is a switch that is perfectly placed that geos to the light over the sink. Can I cut the plug off and connect it to the same switch. The box has two switch's (one for the grabage disposal and one for the light over the sink) as well as plug.

If I can't do it with these lights, can I wire different lights to an exesting light switch? If so, what do I need?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-07, 12:16 PM
You cannot do it with these lights. You may be able to buy lights designed to be hardwired, but these are not designed that way. Using them in this manner would be wrong.

Old 01-30-07, 12:29 PM
Thanks racraft - I had a suspicion it could not be that easy!

Can anyone tell me if I can buy lights to do this. I have now done some light research and if I understand I need DC capible rope lighting. But I still have the question of adding (roughly 4 feet) of rope lighting to an existing light switch....

Old 01-30-07, 12:35 PM
Could you add another circuit to the switch ( via pig-tailing) that would go to a switched outlet recepticle that would be in the proper location to plug in the rope lighting?

Old 01-30-07, 12:53 PM
MTTwister - I'm sorry; can you dumb that down for me? LOL Do you mean install another circuit into the breaker box? If so, no the circuit box is up stairs on the opposite side of the house. Also, Im not sure what you mean by "pig tailing" - I'll Google it but Im just a dumb sales person...

Maybe if I explain in more detail what my situating is...

I have two sections of cabinets split by the hood/range - they are both roughly 3 feet long. There is a box halfway between the counter top and bottom of the cabinets that has a light switch for the light above the sink, a switch that runs the garbage disposal and a plug (As a last resort I would be willing to replace the plug but there is only one other on that wall so I would rather keep it). I'm still not sure how I would handle the hood but I'm not apposed to starting at the far end (relative to the light switch) running the rope lighting under the cabinet, drilling a whole in the bottom of the cabinet close to the range/hood and running the rope lighting up and over the hood, drilling another whole in the bottom of the cabinet on the opposite side of the range/hood, running it along the bottom of that cabinet frame, in to the wall, snaking the wire down the 6 inches or so and into the box that houses the two switches and plug.

I have not looked into the box that houses the two switches but I am assuming it is like the other one in that room that has three switchs - if it is, it has a large white plastic coated wire (which has a copper wire and two other black wires inside) running into one side and another running into (or out of) the other side..

Not sure if that helps, confuses the issue or just repeats myself! LOL

Old 01-30-07, 12:58 PM
You would create a fire hazard by running this rope light wire in the wall. Please stop considering this plan.

Find some other type of rope light or just plug the light in.

Old 01-30-07, 01:09 PM
racraft - I saw your first post, understood it, and have no intention of using the same rope light with the plug at the end. Read the post's again - Like I said, I understand you can buy rope lighting (at the big box stores) that can be wired to a switch (DC not AC I belive)- is that not correct?

Can you provide any answer to my question of if I can add an additional light to an exsisting light swtich? And if so based off the inrofmation I provided on the wiring I have if and how I could do it?

Any and all help is much appreciate!

Old 01-30-07, 01:42 PM
Rope lighting that is DC requires a transformer. These transformers are usually hidden. Sometimes they are hidden on top of the cabinets (if the cabinets do go to the ceiling), or sometimes they are hidden in a cabinet. So you will still have the same problem, something to pug in.

To answer your other question, you may or may not be able to add another switch to an existing setup and have everything work. Sometimes code prohibits this. Sometimes the wires in the box prohibit this.

In your case you need to describe the wires inside the box. The question is, does power for the lights go through this box, or is it simply a switch loop?

Old 01-30-07, 07:22 PM
You should be able to add the lights to existing switch, but as Racraft mentioned, if the box is over-full by adding additional wires, you're in violation of the code's restrictions on too many conductors in a box. That said, if you're within code, and wanted to install the plug-in type lights, you could simply cut in a receptacle that would be controlled by the switch. Problem solved. See "Home Wiring 1-2-3" or equivalent for details.

Old 01-30-07, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by joshmack View Post
You should be able to add the lights to existing switch, but as Racraft mentioned, if the box is over-full by adding additional wires, you're in violation of the code's restrictions on too many conductors in a box. That said, if you're within code, and wanted to install the plug-in type lights, you could simply cut in a receptacle that would be controlled by the switch. Problem solved. See "Home Wiring 1-2-3" or equivalent for details.
I think you would have a code violation. Since this is lighting it cannot be on the SABCs for the kitchen. Since it is a recepticle above the counter top, it would be required to be on one of the SABCs. How do you get arround this clause if you do not hard wire the fixtures?

Old 01-30-07, 09:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Light over the sink? Snake from there to a new receptacle in the cabinet.
Drill a hole in the cabinet, plug in the rope lights.

May not be what you would want. It will illuminate underneith and your selling it. So make it safe correct and let the next owner customize.

Old 01-30-07, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee View Post
Light over the sink? Snake from there to a new receptacle in the cabinet.
Drill a hole in the cabinet, plug in the rope lights.

May not be what you would want. It will illuminate underneith and your selling it. So make it safe correct and let the next owner customize.

now you need a cord on the light fixture that is rated to be fished....

we are in a real quandry here....

I didnt make all this up.. I followed a thread on a professional web site about rope lights.

The answer is that they do make a cord that is rated for fishing.. you need to buy that cord.

Old 01-30-07, 10:14 PM
Wink Snakeing in wall

AHHH, I did not mention or intend to imply that. Run the "ropes" around cabinet bottems then drill a hole up into them.

Snaking from light shall be NM to a box with a Receptacle installed.

Still a bad idea?

Old 01-30-07, 10:24 PM
I am still lost... we put a cord cap on NM cable how?????

Old 01-30-07, 10:46 PM
what ?? cord on NM cable ughh for myself i will never do that kind of methold and i dont see how it can be done in this manner at all

i did heard about a specal rope light cord that can go behind the wall but unforetally i dont have the website or detail with me as i am speaking now

Merci , Marc

Old 01-31-07, 05:40 AM
My suggestion is to find lights that plug in and to place a recepacle where you need it.

If you place a receptacle inside or above the cabinets then power it from the lighting circuit. If you place the receptacle above the counter top and below the cabinets then place it on one of the small appliance circuits.

Old 01-31-07, 07:13 AM
Thanks everyone

Just wanted to thank everyone for their idea's - unfortunitly this is starting to sound like it is waaaaaay over my head. Replacing the light over my dining room table is the extent of my electrical experiance so I'm starting think this is too complicated - last thing I want to do is be responsabel for burning down our condo complex! ;-)

I may just plug it in to get the effect of the soft light bouncing of the shiney granite tile for showings - if they dont like it, it will porbably take all of 10 minutes to take it down. There is only one window in the room and it is a bit small so I wanted it to look as bright and big as posible as well as show off the granite for showings...

Thanks again for everyone's input - It is really appreciated!

Old 01-31-07, 07:15 AM
I have "switched" rope lights under my kitchen cabinets. I also have switched rope lights under the base cabinet toe kicks. Installation is pretty simple.
I installed an outlet in a cabinet that is supplied by a wall switch. You can take the cabinets off the wall, cut into the sheetrock and run the new (NM) circuit. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the cabinets large enough to pass the rope through and ran the lights along the bottom of the cabinets.
I used a dual switch to control the lights. One for the undercabinet and one for the toe kick.

Old 02-02-07, 09:40 AM
Sorry for the delay.

Racraft hit my idea, of the in cabinet rec. (not cap) I'm a bad tech writer.

emies: they do sell small self adheisive clips,any hardware/home center, That you can install on the cords. this will make them look neat and clean.