Changing recessed can lights to hanging lights

Old 02-08-07, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing recessed can lights to hanging lights

I recently purchased a new track home about 3 months ago and my wife wasn’t happy with how plane the recessed can lights look in the hallway. So she wants me to change them to hanging light. My question is how hard is that to do and can it be done? Is the wiring the same can I just pull out the can lights and put in the hanging lights? Well there be to big of a hole to cover for the hanging lights?? Please help thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-07, 12:41 PM
I doubt there is enough wire in the ceiling to install ceiling lights, but there might be. Do you have access to this ceiling space from above?

Yes, there are lights big enough to cover these holes. Will you like them, or m,ore importantly will the wife like them? maybe, maybe not. Go shopping and see what she likes. But, drywall repair is not difficult.

Old 02-08-07, 03:17 PM
This is something I've been pondering as well. Our home has recessed lighting all through the house and we've been thinking about a few hanging lights just to add a little varity. I have found covers at lighting stores designed just for this. I have not tried them yet.

Old 02-15-07, 12:30 PM
gt1
Hello.
I am also going to replace cans with pendant lights. Is it possible to get to the wires though the ceiling? My cans a line voltage.

Old 02-15-07, 05:31 PM
You asked a pretty vague question. Is it possible to get to the wires though the ceiling? Yes, certainly. How difficult will it be? Hard to say without seeing it. Do you need new wires in the ceiling? I don't know--probably not.

Old 02-15-07, 10:13 PM
gt1
John,
I am sorry for a badly worded question- it is difficult to ask correctly without knowing 90% of answer already
Basically, I want to replace recessed lights with pendants. The existing lights were installed by the builder, so, I guess they are nailed to the joists. I guess that I will have to remove the recessed lights to get access to the wiring. Is it possible to do without making additional holes in the ceiling? I am preparing to install flooring in a room above, so I could cut the subfloor open, but I don't want to do it, unless really necessary.
Or, may be there is an adapter in existence, which is attached to a recessed light and provides power and support for a pendant?

Old 02-16-07, 04:38 PM
Yes, it is always possible to remove the can from below without any damage to the ceiling. Most people don't think so, and you may not think so either the first six times you look. But if you look carefully enough, you'll see some screws on the inside of the can that detach it from its hanger.

And yes, there are adaptors to convert recessed cans, but I'm not very familiar with them.

Old 02-17-07, 07:52 AM
gt1
John,
Thanks a lot. I tried it, and removed the can without any difficulties.

Old 03-18-07, 07:33 AM
Variation of lighting

They make special kits on how to make a can into a junction box etc.
i've seen where a chandelier or fan was installed and they make kits the other way around as well..

it is always good to have a variation of lighting and like to see that not eveyone loves recessed lighting as much. Because now everyone wants recessed cans suddenly so everyone is going to have them and they are going to get boring quick if 8 out of 10 houses on a street have them.

People like variation, that's why it i good to go with what you like, and not what anyone else likes and keep a balance of the lighting in your home.

Old 05-11-07, 11:04 AM
I saw in last month's FAMILY HANDYMAN magazine that you can buy a hanging light fixture that screws into the can, cover included. Don't recall the price or the manufacturer, but if you can grab the March or April edition it's in the new product section.

Old 09-26-07, 12:05 PM
Worth Home Products

Originally Posted by jdegeorge View Post
I saw in last month's FAMILY HANDYMAN magazine that you can buy a hanging light fixture that screws into the can, cover included. Don't recall the price or the manufacturer, but if you can grab the March or April edition it's in the new product section.
The Instant Pendant Light is manufactured by Worth Home Products and is available thru Lowe's and select Target locations. Prices range from 39 - 59 and remember that you save the expense of a electrician, drywall repairman and painter.

Old 09-26-07, 01:10 PM
Let me add one more comment on this product myself i never see it but one wisdom is check the info very carefully some have pretty good weight restriction on it.

i just dont want to see someone get the kit and end up do more damage then what it really worth to do so just let you know a head up with this.

just check all the info first it will really save yourself alot of greif and few unforetally event as well

Merci , Marc