bathroom fan grounding problem

Old 02-12-07, 07:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom fan grounding problem

HELP!!! i am not very familiar with electrical issues.. .thought you experts could lend a helping hand to my problem. I am trying to put in a new bathroom fan. There is currently only one GFCI receptacle and one switch to a light in the bathroom. The house was built in 1950 and has the old-school 2 wires (no ground) feeding the receptacle and light. I was just going to branch off of the existing light/receptacle but OF COURSE the new fan says that it MUST be grounded. But there is no grounding wire to attach it to. My question- can i somehow use the majic powers of the GFCI receptacle to somehow ground the fan (and if so how do i do that), or do i need to run a completely new line (bleh)??

thanks for all the advice you can offer. I anxiously await your reply

tim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-07, 09:02 PM
J
Received 270 Votes on 234 Posts
You can connect the fan to the load side of the GFCI and it will be safe. It will still not have a ground, but it will be safe. The fan does not need the ground to operate.

Old 02-13-07, 05:21 AM
R
However, the NEC prohibits extending this circuit to power the fan.

Old 02-13-07, 06:41 AM
M
hmmm...I'm kinda confused here... getting conflicting info. I was under the impression that the GFCI circuit could be extended to downstream items, like lights. You are saying that this is not true racraft? The only downside to having the circuit extended that I can think of is that if the GFCI is tripped, you would lose downstream items as well. What is it about the fan that does not allow you to hook it up to the GFCI circuit?

Are you saying that I need to run a new line to power the lights and fan seperatly from the GFCI receptacle circuit??

Old 02-13-07, 08:16 AM
R
The NEC does not allow extending an ungrounded circuit.

Old 02-14-07, 09:03 AM
M
thanks for clarifying racraft. I appreciate it. I will go ahead and just run a new wire to the bathroom.

tim