Remote low voltage transformer

Old 02-14-07, 03:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Remote low voltage transformer

Will this work? I want to replace a kitchen island incandescent lighting circuit with a modern low voltage track system. I would like to locate the transformer about four feet from a dimmer wall switch and then use the existing thirty foot run of 14-2 with ground Romex cable between the transformer and the track? I had planned on using a 600-watt transformer. Can the transformer be concealed inside a wall if access is maintained?

Old 02-14-07, 04:02 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you can conceal a transformer inside a wall if access is maintained. As long as "access" means that you can get to it without disturbing any of the finish of the building. But all connections must be made inside of an electrical box, so you probably need a box for your transformer.

Old 02-14-07, 05:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You may want to make sure the area does not trap the heat given off by the transformer.

Old 02-14-07, 08:28 PM
S
Is the !4-2 cable from transformer to the track OK or do I need to run strand wire? Thanks

Old 02-14-07, 10:01 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
the other thing to head up is the transformer size per nec code on low voltage side [ 12 V ] is limited to 300 watt [ 25 amps] and the 14-2 wire will not able handle this load at all

if you have 600 watt transformer you should see two " tap " there each set for 300 watts each to prevent overloading it

for very short run you can run 12-2 but i havent get into this deep with full capaity on 12 v circuit so therefore just load up to 80% full load like about 240 watts or so that is 20 amp there and it right on the limit of 12 -2 but my main condsering is the loading and heat of the wires

you may have to split the track to two or three section to prevent overloading

it is the same rules with line voltage as well

to order get the total capaitcy you have to add all the lamp wattage for each lumiaire and get the total and see how far you can spread out

that something you have to think about it

there is few other option as well but for now i just hold it back for a min until you get some idea how many lumiaires you will hang up on the track and the length of track [ it can make the diffrence because the low voltage system is pretty senstive with voltage drop ]

if more question please do drop a line

Merci , Marc

Old 02-15-07, 01:29 PM
S
Thanks Marc, Very helpful.

Old 02-16-07, 02:52 PM
T
Originally Posted by stvdlf