Vanity light install ????

Old 02-27-07, 10:54 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vanity light install ????

Okay this is my first post so forgive me if I mess up.

I have a question about installing a light in a basement bathroom that we are remodeling. It is a vanity light that attaches to the wall. My problem is how to mount it. There is stud right where I want to mount the light, but we can not get the box (the blue thing the wires come through) mounted on the side of the stud because there are water lines on one side, and the stack on the other side.

Could we cut into the stud and mount the box inside of the stud? (It is not a load bearing wall). Or could I just mount the light to the stud with the wires coming in from the side? The directions that are enclosed are not helpful, and just show the light being attached to an electrical box.

I hope this makes sense, I am a big DIY'er, but I do not know all the "proper" terms (ha ha).

Thanks!!

Old 02-27-07, 11:13 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not all wall-mount fixtures even need a box at all. Many such fixtures provide a wiring compartment (closed on all sides) in the fixture itself. Check to see if yours does. If so, you can just run the cable out through a hole in the wall into the back of the fixture, and make the connections inside the fixture.

No, don't cut the stud. Even though the wall is not load bearing, it is still supporting the drywall and other things.

If the fixture has no wiring compartment, perhaps you can relocate the fixture a little over one way or the other. You can even add some 2x4s to the existing studs to support the new box.

If you really need the fixture to be exactly in this spot, perhaps you can reroute the pipe.

Old 02-27-07, 11:33 AM
H
The light does not have an enclosed box, but I think I will try and put a "cheater" (not sure if that is the right term), across the stud so I can mount the box to that and then the light to the box. Does that sound like it would work? If I can mount the light fixture directly to the stud without sticking a box in there, can I do that, or does the light fixture need to be enclosed? Do the wires need to be put into a box of some sort, or can they just hang behind the light fixture?

Thank you for all your help!!

Old 02-27-07, 11:43 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
All splices need to be enclosed on all sides by a non-combustible box. If your fixture is open to the back, and if the splices are done in this open area, then you need an electrical box.

Yes, you can put the cheater in and attach your box to that if that will work for you.

Old 02-27-07, 11:46 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
They make thin (pancake) boxes that might fit under the fixture if mounted on top of the stud.
They also make boxes fit over stud. They have a sort of hump in the middle and the box straddles the stud.

Here is a link to one I found. They list it as a ceiling fan box, but you could use for your light.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-45-electrical-boxes-plastic/pvc-ceiling-fan-boxes-610977.aspx

Last edited by joed; 02-27-07 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 12:55 PM
H
Thank you for your help. I think that box that fits around the stud will work perfectly. Thanks!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: