Basement Electrical/Lighting Question

Old 03-07-07, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Electrical/Lighting Question

I am hopefully planning to finish part of my basement ceiling,etc.
I am planning to put fluorescent lights in the ceiling grid and then putting the clear prismatic lens in various openings.

..My question is, how would it be possible to put a ceiling fan attached from the ceiling panels? Would i have to attach it to the above joist?

..i hope this space can change in to general purpose to home theater..so would anyone recommend installing some recessed cans as well, and have different lights, and fan on different switches..?..please help!

thanks..

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-07, 10:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
..My question is, how would it be possible to put a ceiling fan attached from the ceiling panels? Would i have to attach it to the above joist?

YES.

..i hope this space can change in to general purpose to home theater..so would anyone recommend installing some recessed cans as well, and have different lights, and fan on different switches..?..

Absolutly,
Switch the cans as needed, seperate them, and place on dimmers. Don't worry about the EMF. It's harmless. The fan light most definatly, you want this seperate.

Prismatic is sooo 80s' But will work well in a low ceiling. Parabolics defuse nicely, Look great, but are costly. Go warm white lamps T-8s(IMO).

Old 03-08-07, 11:00 AM
The manufacturers of drop ceilings make all kinds of special brackets and gizmos to install recessed lighting and ceiling fans and other things. I'm not familiar with all of them, but you should be able to find them in your home center or on the web.

Old 03-08-07, 03:39 PM
basement lighting reply

A couple questions remaining..

1) what's EMF? (as posted in someone's reply)
2) Should the fan and fan light kit be on seperate switches?
or would it be fine to leave both on one, and have any other lights on
seperate switches?

I already have 8 shoplights that i can instaLL above the grid and get the clear plastic luminaire sheets..and i already have COOLWHITE bulbs.

I had gotten those in the first place because pigmented light can lead to cancer(and the white light is standard, not as much pigmentation as others),
and also had gotten them because i like the unique true bright white light
given out by fluorescent tubes.

They are T12 but just as close to T8 because it really doesn't matter the size of the bulb because the sheets of luminaires will be blocking the bulbs from the surroundings underneath.

..thank you so much for your help..

one last question...since it will be partially a home theater sometimes, should i get a black ceiling fan with light kit so darker the room the better?

darker colors work better in a home theater room right?
...i also just thought of black ceiling panels/black grid system.
They make that, don't they? i've seen it..but it comes black, you do not have to paint it right?

then i thought white ceilings would look better to add some brightness to the basement..but black fan would probably still be ideal right?

ok thank you..

Old 03-08-07, 03:49 PM
1. Okay, so why are you worried about EMF when you were specifically advised not to worry about EMF?

Seriously, EMF = Electomagnetic Fields, e.g., the interference you see on poorly shielded televisions from bad transformers.

2. Your choice. Either is fine. Separate switches gives you more flexibility. But you can use the pull chains to differentiate if necessary.

Old 03-08-07, 05:19 PM

o, i was just curious on what EMF stood for but no i shouldnt need to know anything about it, you're right..thank you..