ceiling fixture wiring

Old 03-17-07, 09:02 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fixture wiring

i have a ceiling fixture wired to a wall switch. in the fixture box there are 3 black wires, 2 white, and one red. i wired the fixture by connecting the fixture white to the two box whites, the fixture black to the 3 box blacks, and just capped the box red. when i turned the power on the fixture lit but stayed lit regardless of the switch position. was i supposed to connect the box red to something? if so, what? the instructions with the fixture made no mention of a red wire. thanks to anybody who can help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-07, 09:20 AM
J
There's only one reliable algorithm--connect the new fixture exactly like the old one was connected. Was there an old fixture? Do you remember how it was connected?

Connections described by fixture manufacturers are very often wrong. That's because they cannot possibly account for the many different ways your home might be wired.

Having said all that, the solution in your particular case is probably simple. Connect the three black wires in the ceiling to each other, but not to the fixture. Connect the two white wires to each other, and to the white wire from the fixture. Connect the red wire in the ceiling to the black wire from your fixture.

By the way, are you sure you counted those wires correctly. It's very odd to have more black wires than white wires in the box.

Old 03-19-07, 06:38 AM
C
Ceiling fixture

Thank you, John. Your suggestion did the trick. And yes, I double-checked the wire count and it was three black, two white, and one red.