Silent Rocker switch models

Old 03-17-07, 02:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Silent Rocker switch models

Hello Ladies, Gents,

I've been looking for some silent rocker switches and have not been able to find any. I went to some local stores and checked out their very limited choices and even though some were marked quiet or silent they were NOT.

So I'm thinking I'll order what I need off the internet however just as in the stores I don't' want to order something that says its quiet and it turns out not to be. Anyone use any silent rocker switches that are truly silent?

Old 03-17-07, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Of all the switches I install in a year that are "quiet" or "silent", they prove to be just that. What kind of environment are you looking to place these switches in, and just how silent is silent in your opinion?

Old 03-17-07, 03:41 PM
M
Thanks.

I was wondering if my definition of quiet was extreme but in crowded stores I could still hear an audible click on the "quiet" models from arms length away.

I'm just looking to replaced aged light switches and plates at home. I guess in the end I'll settle for as quiet as I can get.

What are some of the models you use?

Old 03-24-07, 05:18 PM
M
Hey Chandler, you forget me

Old 03-24-07, 05:35 PM
S
I'm not sure to what degree these are still in production but there used to be a form of wall switch known as a "mercury" switch which was more silent than an ordinary wall switch.Although quiet to the point of litterally being without any sound and designed for long term lifespans,they did not sell well as they cost considerably more than standard switches which were only between 50 cents and a few dollars.

Suggest you talk to someone at an electrical supply or hardware store that has "been around" and can remember these.I haven't seen them in some years.

Old 03-25-07, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Sorry, I let the post slip past me. As Spdavid says if you can find mercury switches, they prove to be absolutely silent, but Leviton, Cooper Lighting and others make switches that you can't hear from an arm's length in a library, so check them out and see if that will serve your purpose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: