Wiring Through Brick

Old 03-31-07, 06:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Through Brick

I'm going to be adding carriage lights to both sides of my garage. The house is brick. Can I drill through the brick, sleeve it with conduit, and insert the romex through the conduit then make my connections under the wall plate of the lighting fixture?
Another idea would be to do everything as above but run the lamp wiring through the conduit to a jbox located inside the framed wall and make my connections there.

Would either way work and be up to code?

Thx,
Joe

Old 03-31-07, 06:23 AM
R
You need a junction box that the light will attach to (unless it includes it's own). In most cases a section of brick is removed and a rectangular box is inserted.

Old 03-31-07, 07:01 AM
J
Ok, thanks. Any suggestions on the best method of removing the brick?

Old 03-31-07, 07:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Carefully. I use a cold chisel and hammer, tapping lightly. You could use a Rotozip with concrete adaptable blade, or a grinder, but they are too unwieldy and turn too fast.

Old 03-31-07, 10:06 AM
J
If the fixture wires are long enough to extend into the house (seems unlikely), you could mount the box on the inside.

Old 04-01-07, 06:43 AM
J
If your area is under the national code without exceptions you do not need the conduit from inside the house to outside the house, if you are using romex cable. You do need a box outside behind the fixture.

Some fixtures have a canopy that is deep enough for you to use what is called a pan box. The box is only about 3/8 in deep.

You need to drill your hole in the brick large enough to accomodate the romex connector, but small enought to leave you enough solid brick to mount your box to. I have been known to cut off the screws on the romex connector after tightening them so that I did not have to chip away more brick.

No matter which method you choose, I reccomend that you do not use those plastic anchors that go into a 1/4 inch hole. I find they do not last as well as the metal ones.

Old 04-01-07, 07:10 AM
J
jwhite: great suggestions-- when shopping for my lamps I'll narrow my search for a deeper canopy.

Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
I have been known to cut off the screws on the romex connector after tightening them so that I did not have to chip away more brick.
Could I reverse the connector (if there's room in the canopy) so the screws are on the inside.

Thx,
Joe

Old 04-01-07, 09:30 AM
J
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Could I reverse the connector (if there's room in the canopy) so the screws are on the inside.
Yes, just be sure that there is actually enough room and you are not pinching the wires.

Old 04-01-07, 09:33 AM
J
The canopy not only needs to be deep enough for the pan box, but also the mounting brace that comes with the light. Check out the deepth carefully.

Old 04-01-07, 10:34 AM
J
Great, thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: