Replacement 2D lamps don't work?

Old 04-06-07, 02:03 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement 2D lamps don't work?

Our bathroom light is one of these 2D lamps (http://www.geconsumerproducts.com/pressroom/press_releases/lighting/images/60055.jpg). It went last week, so I bought and fitted a replacement, but it didn't work. I looked for a fuse for the light and switch, but couldn't find one. The light switch also powers on the extractor fan which is still working. The main fuses in the fuse box are all ok. The starter works with the kitchen light so it's not that. I guessed that maybe the replacement lamp was broken, so I bought another, but that doesn't work either. Now I'm stuck. Anyone know what the solution might be?

Last edited by LifeOnMars; 04-09-07 at 12:17 PM. Reason: corrected link to picture
Old 04-06-07, 03:38 PM
R
You did not provide a valid URL for the light.

You are going to have to do better describing the switch setup as what you are stating is unclear.

Have you checked for power at the light and/or at the switch?

Have you looked for open wires?

Old 04-09-07, 12:23 PM
L
racraft, thanks for the response

I corrected the link.

The switch setup is this: there is an ordinary light switch on th ewall outside the batroom as you go in. It switches on the light and the extractor fan together. The fan still works with the switch, but the light doesn't.

I haven't checked for power at the light or the switch - how would I do that? I figured because the fan works from the switch there is power there. I took the light starter out and put it into the kitchen light which is similar and it works ok, so does that mean there is no power at the bathroom light? If so, how to fix it?

There are no open wires. It's a new build and all I did was take of the lamp shade and unplug the lamp.

Old 04-09-07, 12:52 PM
S
All fluorescent fixtures have a "ballast" which would likely look like a small box somewhere in the body of the fixture and is wired in.By elimination this sounds like your problem...it has gone bad.Depending on how the fixture is designed and the ballast is mounted,this may or may not be an easy fix.It is important to note that you must replace the ballast with the correct duplicate type and it's probably a safer bet to take the old one with you for proper matching.If this is not possible look for any info on the ballast and/or fixture and especially let the sales help know the exact bulb type as printed on the bulb/lamp.Better hardware stores and lamp shops and/or elec supply houses that sell to the public will carry a good selection of ballasts.Go where there is help to assist you.The ballast may be riveted into the fixture etc. and cost and difficulty may dictate replacing the entire unit makes more sense.

Old 04-09-07, 01:26 PM
R
You need to use an analog meter or a two wire tester and verify that the bulb is getting power.

Old 04-09-07, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
Be prepared to find out your fixture is toast and it does not have a consumer-replaceable ballast. Several years ago we bought a floor lamp (torch-style) with the 2D-type bulb. I don't think the original bulb lasted 6 months. Shortly after replacing the bulb, the fixture crapped out (replacement bulb didn't help). Tried to find a replacement ballast/bulb holder assembly; "not available" and it's a sealed unit. Wrote a very angry letter to GE Consumer Products about the extremely low quality of the product I had purchased. They sent me a new lamp. New lamp lasted maybe 6 months and IT crapped out. Took lamp into my workshop and removed the 2D ballast/fixture; replaced with two standard screw-in bulb holders. Installed two compact flourescents. Been working great since and can't tell because the lamp design makes the bulbs too high to see (unless you're 6'6).

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 04-09-07 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-09-07, 07:23 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tow guy is probably right. Save your money on the tools.

Is this light/fan 1 unit? If so,SHUT OFF THE POWER and carefully disassemble the lighting part.
Pay close attention to what you take apart.

You will find a small box type device. this will be the ballast. Take the info off of it and search. If not found at the box store. Take it to a lighting store.
In the mean time, price out new uits. The second option may be cheaper, but labor intensive. You make the call.

Old 05-03-07, 01:28 AM
L
Lightbulb Problem solved!

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice. After Googling for a replacement ballast and buying one for about 10 ($20), installation was reasonably straightforward and the lamp is working again. Now I have two spare lamps as well!!!

Last edited by LifeOnMars; 05-03-07 at 01:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-03-07, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
Good job, Mars. Your unit obviously was more user-serviceable than the lamp of mine. It's holder assembly was sealed (plastic-welded together) and the only way to replace the ballast would have been to cut it open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: