how to control 4 lights with 1 switch

Old 04-10-07, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to control 4 lights with 1 switch

Hi,

I am adding 4 wall sconces to my basement, and I was wondering how I should wire them. I have a wire running from my circuit breaker to a switch. I want this one switch to control all 4 sconces. I was planning on having the white wire continue past the switch and connect the black wire to the switch. Then I would run the wire to a junction box in the middle of the ceiling. Next, I would splice the black and white wires from each light to the black and white wires in the junction box. Does this sound like a fair plan? Any problems or concerns about how I want to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-07, 07:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
The way you describe is one way to do it. Running your cable from the switch box to the first light, then second, then third, then fourth is another. But if they are not in a line or on opposite sides of the room, your method is fine. The junction box if installed toward the living space must remain accessible, so you will have to install a cover plate over it. You can't make it disappear.

Old 04-10-07, 07:15 PM
Do not wire things the way you propose. While it is legal (as long as the junction box remains accessible), it is not ideal.

You are better off making as few splices as possible.

Instead, wire as Larry has suggested, from the switch to the first light, then to the second light, then to the third and finally to the fourth.

Each and every junction box is a potential failure point. And while properly made connections are not likely to fail (in a perfect world), they can and do fail (in the real world).

Old 04-10-07, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your replies.

The junction box will be accessible, since I have a drop ceiling.

I understand that introducing the junction box may not be ideal. Instead of pulling wire from each sconce back to the junction box, I will run from 2 sconces to the junction box and connect 2 sconces to each other. This will reduce the amount of wires being spliced together, but I don't feel I can avoid the junction box since the lights are on opposite sides of the room.

Thanks again for the advice,
Ranthalion

Old 04-12-07, 01:48 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Lights

Post a diagram of the room showing the switch location and each light location and we can help you route the wires in the most efficient manner without using the junction box.

Old 04-12-07, 02:45 PM
Of course you can avoid a junction box. While a junction box hidden by a drop ceiling is legal, it's worse than a junction box that is visible. Do the smart thing, no extra junction box.