dusk to dawn light

Old 04-12-07, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question dusk to dawn light

my yard light burnt out or stopped working. So I went to L&m fleet and bought a whole new one. I think it is a sodium dusk to dawn light. But the new one still has a problem it starts up at dark then all night turns on and off. I have replaced the whole light all the way up on the pole 3 times now and the wire to it once. I have also put a cover over the top sensor to see if that would make a difference but still the same thing.I am at a loss any ideas???????????????????

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-07, 11:05 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suspect one of two problems

1; the photocell. Sometimes they are exposed to the light the fixture produces and think it is light out and turn off. Obviously, after the light goes off, it is dark again so the light reignites.

2; bad lamp. typically this is how a bd lamp will act.
=============

If you are comfortable and capable of working this electrical systems, I would bypass the photocell. Is the light still cycles, replace the bulb. If it deosn't cycle, look to the situation I described or a photocell.

Old 04-13-07, 08:59 PM
Question dusk to dawn light

It cant be the bulb or the sensor because I replaced the whole works three times back to back. Any other ideas?

Old 04-13-07, 09:21 PM
nap
then it must be the moles chewing on the wires underground.

start from scratch;

every place there is a junciton, make sure the connections are good.

If you have a volt meter, you might try checking for voltage whent the light is off.

If there are multiple voltage taps on the ballast, be sure you have it wired to the correct voltage tap. If you do not lose voltage and the light continues to go on and off, we a are back at the lamp or PC.

here's a god thing to check that will cause your problem.

make sure the PC is wired correctly. the black wire goes to the incoming power, the red wire to the light and the white to the nuetral. If you reverse the red and black, you can get what you have.

Old 04-14-07, 05:11 AM
Try covering the entire sensor with a heavy black plastic bag. Like a trash bag folded over several times. You can do this test in the day time.

See if the light still strobes or if it stops.

If it stops then the photo sensor is seeing some other source of light at night, even possibly its own light as suggested above.

I once had this problem at a convience store, but it did not happen all the time. Turned out to be the headlights from snowmobles on an adjecnt snow mobile trail.

Old 04-14-07, 05:16 AM
I forgot to ask what the frequency of the strobing is.

Could the light be set for motion instead of dusk to dawn? It may only be comming on when the cat walks by.

Old 04-14-07, 11:01 AM
light

Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
I forgot to ask what the frequency of the strobing is.

Could the light be set for motion instead of dusk to dawn? It may only be comming on when the cat walks by.
It is dusk to dawn ontop of a pole like an r.e.a. light.

Old 04-14-07, 11:04 AM
light

Try covering the entire sensor with a heavy black plastic bag. Like a trash bag folded over several times. You can do this test in the day time.

See if the light still strobes or if it stops.

If it stops then the photo sensor is seeing some other source of light at night, even possibly its own light as suggested above.

I once had this problem at a convience store, but it did not happen all the time. Turned out to be the headlights from snowmobles on an adjecnt snow mobile trail.
I alredy said I put a cover over the sensor on top of the light and it still dose the same thing. All the way on then off over and over agin.

Old 04-14-07, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
then it must be the moles chewing on the wires underground.

start from scratch;

every place there is a junciton, make sure the connections are good.

If you have a volt meter, you might try checking for voltage whent the light is off.

If there are multiple voltage taps on the ballast, be sure you have it wired to the correct voltage tap. If you do not lose voltage and the light continues to go on and off, we a are back at the lamp or PC.

here's a god thing to check that will cause your problem.

make sure the PC is wired correctly. the black wire goes to the incoming power, the red wire to the light and the white to the nuetral. If you reverse the red and black, you can get what you have.
I haven't checked the wiring but I think it is correct. It is all above ground. It comes out of a big fuse box were the house plugs into on the pole. Then into a breaker box on the pole.Then to a switch.Then to the light. PS. When it turns off it immediately is starting to turn on agin. Thanks

Old 04-14-07, 11:14 AM
nap
did you check the PC for correct wiring? Reversed line and load connections will do this. Since it has been a common problem, I suspect maybe somebody in Mexico is color blind and there is a batch of these.

Just to be sure when you say you replaced everything, you are including the PC, the lamp, the ballast and any ignitor or capacitor, correct?

Have you checked the voltage rating of the fixture and compared that to your voltage you are using?

Have you checked your actual voltage. If the voltage at the fixture is low, I can see it causing problems.

You need to check the voltage both with no load and when the light is on or at least trying to start.

Old 04-14-07, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by stiff View Post
I alredy said I put a cover over the sensor on top of the light and it still dose the same thing. All the way on then off over and over agin.
So the photo sensor is on top of the light, and you were sure that it could see no light at all during the test??

Old 04-14-07, 12:13 PM
light

So the photo sensor is on top of the light, and you were sure that it could see no light at all during the test??
yes I am sure it could not see light

Old 04-14-07, 12:19 PM
did you check the PC for correct wiring? Reversed line and load connections will do this. Since it has been a common problem, I suspect maybe somebody in Mexico is color blind and there is a batch of these.

Just to be sure when you say you replaced everything, you are including the PC, the lamp, the ballast and any ignitor or capacitor, correct?

Have you checked the voltage rating of the fixture and compared that to your voltage you are using?

Have you checked your actual voltage. If the voltage at the fixture is low, I can see it causing problems.

You need to check the voltage both with no load and when the light is on or at least trying to start.
I will have to check the voltage last time I checked it it was 110 like it should be. But it will take some time I am trying to check it without climming the pole agin.I dont like the whole wobily ladder thing. I may also try changing the red and black at the switch.,

Old 04-14-07, 12:36 PM
nap
Originally Posted by stiff View Post
I may also try changing the red and black at the switch.,
that will make no difference. It is which wire leads into the photocell and which wire feeds the lamp that are of concern.

you cannot check nor change them without actually being at the PC

Old 04-14-07, 01:30 PM
that will make no difference. It is which wire leads into the photocell and which wire feeds the lamp that are of concern.

you cannot check nor change them without actually being at the PC
Ok guess I will have to climb the pole agin.