Fluorescent Light + Photo Cell

Old 04-17-07, 06:55 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent Light + Photo Cell

Hi All,
When I bought my house it had an interesting security light mounted on one side. This fluorescent light had a photo cell that would turn it on at night. This light is also supplied with electricity out of a breaker in the main panel...hmm more on that feature later...

Anyway, the light eventually stuck turned on and burned out. I bought a new bulb and photo cell device (which I think is a K4200 series Intermatic).

When I took the fixture apart I found some burnt looking pieces and decided not to mess with it then. (maybe this was a relay? -- see below)

So, later I found an identical light fixture (LightsAmerica wall mount). The instructions specifically state "Do not install in-line with a master photocell. A manual relay must be installed between a master photocell and the fluorescent fixture for proper operation".

I am having trouble finding information on relays. Can someone help me with this? What do I need to buy?

Also, it seems weird that this fixture does not have any switch other than the photo cell switch. Shouldn't there be some other switch? Maybe an outdoor type?

-J

Old 04-18-07, 03:58 PM
P
Now that I think about it. The burned up stuff was probably the ballast. Makes sense. If there wasn't a relay, then the photocell could have caused it to burn up.

So, more reading...I gather I need a "mechanical relay". I hope I can find such a thing.

Old 04-18-07, 04:41 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
can you post a model number for the light?

I looked at the lights america web site and from a quick gander I suspect that they want you to buy another of thier products to make the other of their products work correctly.

Maybe a trip to a lighting supply house would save you the whole agravation.

Just buy a better quality fixture.

Old 04-18-07, 05:54 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I'll second jwhite's suggestion to buy a better fixture. In my opinion Lights of America has perhaps the poorest quality fixtures available.

Old 04-18-07, 07:46 PM
P
Well now. That is a good point... I can certainly do that. Hopefully I can find one with a photocell. It seems like they all have motion detection instead.

Thanks for the sensible advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: