placement of recessed lights

Old 04-19-07, 05:51 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
placement of recessed lights

I'm finishing my basement and need advice on the above. I would like to use flush mount 2x2 ceiling tiles and recessed lights. The problem I have encountered is keeping the lights centered in the tile with the given spacing of the floor joists. even if every bay was clear, which they aren't I think most of the lights would not fall dead center on the tile. Drywall is not really an option since I have more construction coming down the road.
Thanks,

Old 04-19-07, 08:36 PM
R
So make them off center.

Old 04-20-07, 05:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Like Bob says, you can off center the lights, but IMO, you will like them centered, even though they may be 6" out of kilter for the overall room size. Your eyes will see them centered and it will look neater than trying to make them on line with the center of the room.

Old 04-20-07, 06:00 AM
R
If you are determined to get this as close to perfect as possible, the best thing to do is plan it out. Draw a reflected ceiling plan of the ceiling in scale including the exact positioning of the joists. Now ink a drawing on a clear transparency of the ceiling grid layout. Overlay the transparency on the ceiling plan until you get the lighting as close to centered as possible. Voila! Of course, you will still probably have to accept some things that you find objectional, like an asymmetrical tile layout.

Old 04-20-07, 08:03 AM
S
yeah I guess so. on paper I made the ceiling tile border even and that puts some of the lights in the center, some slightly of center and a couple right along the edge of the tile. it doesn't have to be perfect but not every bay is open to move a light over if needed. I'll give your idea a shot.
thks,

Old 04-20-07, 08:13 AM
R
There is a lot more to worry about then just the joists. Often there are ducts for heating/cooling, water pipes, electrical wires and other obstructions. Sometimes these obstructions can be moved, but often there is no place to move them to or doing so creates much extra work.

Old 04-20-07, 12:52 PM
S
i am already working around that. The lights will arrange in a nice straight even line in the bays. The real issue is the ceiling tiles

Old 04-20-07, 04:48 PM
R
Naturally, the suggestion to locate the joists implied that any obstructions would be marked on the ceiling plan.

Old 04-21-07, 05:03 AM
J
The other option is to hire a structural engineer. Have the entire floor system re designed and re framed.

Of coarse it would probably be cheeper to build a new house with taller basement, but if the tile layout is that important.

Old 04-26-07, 05:46 PM
C
Use old work cans. You can place them in the tiles afterward. Leave plenty of slack on the wires so you can locate then anywhere.

Old 04-27-07, 06:41 PM
A
Sure it looks nicer with the lights in the center, but the ceiling tiles should just blend in with each other. After all, it's just a basement, it will never seem like part of the house. But you can try. Goodluck though!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: