Replacing ceiling fan/light combo with regular light fixture

Old 05-02-07, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling fan/light combo with regular light fixture

Hi. This is my first post to the forum. We bought our first home last summer and are trying to update a few things. Electrically, I am severely challenged and don't want to go capping off wires when I don't know what they are for sure, etc. I usually only stick to switching things out that are exactly the same. We have 2 ceiling fans in our living room, and want to switch one of them out with a regular light fixture. I haven't taken the ceiling fan down yet, but I can tell you what the wall switch wires are doing. There are 2 lines coming into the wall swith box. The one coming in from the bottom has a white, black and ground. The one coming in from the top has the white, black, red, and ground. This fan is connected to a 4way switch by the way with a red, green, yellow, and black wires coming from it. The ground wires are capped together and connected to the 4way. The 2 white wires are capped together, with nothing going to the 4way. The red wire from the top line is connected to the yellow 4way wire. Then the black wire from the top line is connected to the red 4way wire, and the bottom black is connected to the black 4way wire. I am assuming the red wire coming into the switch is for the fan???? I guess the bottom line with the WBG wires is the lead line???What do I do with that extra red wire when hooking up the light, AND what do I do with all these wires when I put the dimmer switch in???? Can I just cap off the red wires or do they have to be joined with another?? Is this impossible to answer before I take the fan down? Would there be a load line going from the fan to anywhere else that I would have to switch the wires around if they are already connected and capped in the ceiling box? Or do load lines run only from outlets???? (see I told you I KNOW NOTHING....I know, I need to buy a book....) This is fairly new wiring I am dealing with as well. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-07, 04:34 AM
Please use paragraphs when posting. An extremely long post like yours is hard to read when you don't separate out thoughts. Remember, you want people to read your post, not skip over it because it looks like you couldn't be bothered to take the time to write properly.

If you want to remove a ceiling fan/light and install just a light, then do that. Cap off the wire that feeds the fan and connect the the other wires.

You do not have a four way switch. I don't even think you have a three way switch. You do need to buy a book and start learning. Start with "Wiring Simplified".

After you buy and read the book you should have a better idea what you are doing.

Old 05-02-07, 05:05 AM
sorry

I'm very sorry. Its the cooper rotary combination control, 4 speed, not 4 way (its been a few months since I was researching this and 4way was in my head for some reason. Probably because I've read about a hundred of other peoples posts but none fit my exact situation that I could find)... I'm very sorry for not paragraphing and would edit it if I could. Thank you for responding.

Old 05-02-07, 05:37 AM
When you remove the existing fan/light, take note of which hot wire attaches to the light (black or red).

When you install the new light switch (dimmer or regular switch) use the same color wire (black or red) to the switch.

Old 05-02-07, 05:43 AM
Talking Thank you.

A very simple explanation for a very electrically uneducated person. THANK YOU!!!! (PS... I'll get the book I promise).