pendant lighting question

Old 05-02-07, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pendant lighting question

hi, I have a building in which I am wanting to use pendant lighting but am curiopus if I will be very disappointed after laying out all the cash and seeing the results. Thought I would see if there were any advice on the subject first.

building is 60' x 28' with 13' ceiling. Walls are masonry but painted a light yellow. Floors are stained sort of an espresso brown (yes, it's a coffee shop). Wanted to use something like the Elk lighting tromba style pendant with 75W bulbs http://www.elklightinglight.com/Elk-Lighting_Contemporary-Style---Tromba-Family/14-413-285-31-16525/product.aspx
but not sure how close they would have to be place in order to have reasonable ambient lighting or how high should they be from the floor? If I evenly space them that would amount to 36 pendants.
Anyone have any idea if this number sounds reasonable? I'll also have some wall sconces around the room and recessed lights over the coffee bar but I wanted something more "warm" over the dining area.

Thanks in advance,
Hal

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-07, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
Are you using the pendants to light over the tables or for ambient light of the whole coffee shop? Will you have any other sources of light? How much daylight enters the store?

Your best bet would be to see a lighting designer at an electrical lighting fixture showroom.

Old 05-02-07, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
south wall is nearly all glass, so good visibility in daylight hours.

wanted to use the lights for total lighting, not just ambient. But I don't want it too bright.

Never thought about the lighting desginer, though I will have to travel to find one.