Capping (?) off wiring in ceiling safely

Old 05-12-07, 01:23 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Capping (?) off wiring in ceiling safely

I have changed fixtures, replaced switches, but never this. Is it safe to simply cap off wires and put a covering over the box I don't want to use? I want to use a fixture that is a plug in in the dining room and was given the okay by my landlord to remove the existing fixture which is hardwired in the ceiling. It hangs way too low and wastes the space because it is centered in a small room. I tried shortening the fixture initially but it appears to be somewhat custom, hardware-wise and I don't want to ruin a nice light. The prior tenant was an electrician and installed all sorts of "goodies" in exchange for rent. I am NOT an electrician and know my limitations. This is a new problem for me. Thank you for your help....just one more mom trying to save some pennies but not at the expense of safety!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-07, 03:48 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it is safe to cap the wires individually with wire nuts and leave them in the box with a blank cover installed. The only caveat is that the box cannot be buried in the ceiling. You will get used to the cover being visible. Make sure to turn the circuit breaker off before doing this so you don;t get shocked.