ceiling fan didn't have a switch but a remote...

Old 05-16-07, 04:14 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down ceiling fan didn't have a switch but a remote...

Hi,
I recently had a contractor take out my original ceiling fan light and replace it with a flushmount light that is much brighter. however, we don't have a switch that turns off/on this light but a remote. he says the wire might run directly into the outlet and the only option we have is 1. either to hire an electrician who's going to make holes on our wall to find the wiring and make a switch for it or 2. find another ceiling light with a remote(which he says is very unlikely). Does anyone know any alternatives?? Helppppppp plssssss!!! tks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-07, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I am a little confused. Do you have a remote for the light fixture? You indicate so, then later you state you would have to get another light with a remote. It sounds as if you have a direct wired outlet in the ceiling, and, yes, it will require a little work to wire a switch loop to the wall where you want it. Not to say it isn't DIY, but not easy.

Old 05-16-07, 09:08 PM
H
you should look at smarthome.com. They offer wireless switches. What will happen is you will put a reciever in the light box with the light, and put a switch in another light box that is nearby. the switch works wirelessly and you won't have to cut holes in the wall. I would still let an electrician do this as it gets complicated and stuff. I think the transmitter and reciever is about 100 bucks.

Old 05-18-07, 04:02 AM
Hunter has the same thing for about $30. Just remember to set your fan on full high speed prior to installing the remote, since it will judge your initial setting as "high", and move down from there. So if you have your fan on low speed, it will be detected as "high", and you will only have low, lower, and still.

Old 05-18-07, 07:03 AM
H
he doesn't have a fan anymore, it's a light fixture

Old 05-19-07, 04:15 AM
Duh. I knew that. Thx.