remove ceiling elect box from light switch

Old 05-16-07, 06:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
remove ceiling elect box from light switch

I have hooked up a new ceiling fan to an existing box in my ceiling and discovered it is controlled by a wall switch. I want to be able to remove the control of the fan from the wall switch so I can install a remote control. How do I change the wiring either in the ceiling box or at the wall switch?

Old 05-16-07, 06:45 PM
R
You may or may not be able to change it at the ceiling box. It depends on whether the switch is wired as a switch loop. You can always change the wiring at the switch.

Eliminate the switch. Take the two wires connected to the switch and connect them via a wire nut.

Old 05-16-07, 07:12 PM
S
wow! This actually works!!
I want to retain the wall switch as it controls some other recessed ceiling lighting, but the loop includes the ceiling fan box. There were two wires for the white/black connectors in the ceiling box, does that have something to do with it?

Old 05-16-07, 07:27 PM
R
If the switch controls more than just the fan then you need to be careful.

If there are only two wires at the switch (wires, not cables) not counting any ground wires then you will have to make changes elsewhere, and you may or may not be able to accomplish what you want.

Tell us ALL the cables and all the wires in those cables at the switch and at the ceiling box. Tell us how they are connected to anything.

Old 05-16-07, 09:06 PM
H
something that racraft hasn't mentioned to this point, but the OP said he hung a fan from an existing box in the ceiling, is this box fan rated, if not you have more serious problems than a remote, that box needs to be changed out to a fan rated box or that fan could fall causing serious injury or even death.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: