Replacing ceiling fan with regular fixture

Old 05-18-07, 08:24 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing ceiling fan with regular fixture

I have checked the previous posts on this topic, but didn't find the exact same situation.

I am replacing a ceiling fan with a regular flush mount ceiling light...too easy right?! But I have a wiring question:

In the box there are 3 separate lines coming in (each with white, black and ground). When I removed the fan, the wiring was as follows:
-grounds all connected and capped
-two black and one white connected together and capped
-one black connected to the fan's red and black (the white from this line was the one that was capped)
-2 whites (one marked with tape) connected together and connected to the fan's white and green
-the wall switch is a basic switch - one white, one black, one ground.

My question is:
-to install the new light (simple black, white and ground...actually 2 each cause it's got 2 bulbs), is there a certain line in that I connect them to, and then cap each separate remaining wire?
-how do I properly cap the other lines (ie. all separate, black with black, etc)?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-07, 08:33 AM
R
Why would you want to mess with the wires that are not connected to the old fan/light? That would be very unwise.

You connect the black wires of your new light to the black wire that was connected to the old fan/light.

You connect the white wires of your new light to the same place that the white wire of the old light was connected.

The ground wire or wires of the new light gets connected to the ground wires in the box.

Old 05-18-07, 09:44 AM
J
I have no desire to mess with the wires that are already capped, thus the question.

Thanks for the quick response.

Old 05-18-07, 10:06 AM
R
Whenever you replace a working fixture, you only need to connect the wires in the same manner to have the new fixture also working.

Old 05-18-07, 05:08 PM
sounds like there was a light kit

with fan, and perhaps a second switch somewhere? or that it is attached to a wall outlet? 3 separate wires coming from the box...
yes, white to white, black to black, and grounds connected. I can see why he was a bit confused, 2 blacks tied to a white? ouch, did someone loop it?

Old 05-18-07, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
The two blacks tied to the white indicated where someone was feeding a switch loop.

The green should not have been tied to the white.

Old 05-18-07, 06:21 PM
R
He indicated quite clearly that there is a switch loop by stating that the switch has a white and a black wire only.