Ceiling Fan Dimmer fan control

Old 05-21-07, 02:03 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Dimmer fan control

Old house, wiring updated about 3 years back.

I have two switches in the living room one at each end of the room running to a fan/light combo. Would like to install a combination dimmer and fan control switch at one location...or if that's not possible at least a dimmer at one location.

At the wall I have 4 wires...red, black, white, and ground wire attached to green screw on switch.

Switch I have on hand is a Leviton 612-6617 with two knobs. Wires are black, red, & blue, nothing I can see for ground.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-07, 02:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan/light control with three-way switches is always a problem. Since power for both the fan motor and the fan light come through the same switch, installing a dimmer will likely burn out your fan motor (sooner or later). Nobody I know makes a special fan control that operates as a 3-way.

What I would recommend is to use a hand-held remote control, and use the 3-way wall switches as merely a master cutoff. It's not an ideal solution, but it's the best you can do without running more wire. If you do run more wire, you'll need to double the existing wires and boxes and switches.